233 Beacon was built in 1868-1869, one of a symmetrical pair (231-233 Beacon).
233 Beacon was built for Anna Huntington (Lyman) Mason, the widow of Rev. Charles Mason, on land she purchased on July 31, 1868, from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. 231 Beacon was built for Dr. William Wallace Morland, a physician, and his wife, Frances Sophia (Lyman) Morland, who was Anna Huntington Mason’s aunt.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 233 Beacon, and click here for further information about the land between the south side of Beacon and Alley 419, from Clarendon to Dartmouth.
Anna Huntington Mason lived at 71 Beacon and then at 78 Beacon. She leased 233 Beacon to attorney Causten Browne and his wife, Katharine Eveleth (Maynadier) Browne. They previously had lived at 16 West Cedar.
Causten and Katharine Browne continued to live at 233 Beacon until about 1876, when they moved to 19 Marlborough.
On October 20, 1876, 233 Beacon was purchased from Anna Huntington Mason by Sally R. (Coffin) Brewer, the wife of Thomas Mayo Brewer. At about the same time, Anna Mason moved from 78 Beacon to 231 Beacon.
Thomas and Sally Brewer had recently returned to Boston from a year-long trip to Europe.
Although physician by training, Thomas Brewer’s primary career was as an editor, publisher, and naturalist. In 1840, he became editor of the Boston Atlas, a Whig newspaper, where he remained until 1857 when it merged with The Traveller. He subsequently entered the publishing business. He was a noted ornithologist, and wrote and edited extensively on ornithological subjects.
He died in January of 1880. Sally Brewer continued to live at 233 Beacon with their daughter, Lucy Stone Brewer.
233 Beacon was not listed in the 1912-1914 Blue Books.
On November 26, 1913, 233 Beacon was purchased from Lucy Brewer by Ethel (Stockton) Whiteside, the wife of attorney Alexander Whiteside, Jr. They previously had lived at 323 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Wareham.
The Whitesides continued to live at 233 Beacon in 1939, but had moved to an apartment at at 221 Beacon by 1940.
233 Beacon was shown as vacant in the 1940-1945 City Directories.
By 1945, 233 Beacon was owned by Dr. Howard Cartnick Reith and his wife, Frances Ellen (born Frances Eleanor Lillian) (Gardner) Reith. He was a dentist and maintained his office at 370 Commonwealth; they lived in Winthrop. In July of 1945, they applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the house into eleven apartments.
The property changed hands, remaining an apartment house, and on March 3, 1955, was acquired by Elmer Clark Ingraham and his wife, Harriette Waldo (Park) Ingraham. He was an architect with MIT’s architectural research department; they lived in Cambridge.
In October of 1956, they acquired 231 Beacon.
On June 4, 1963, 231 Beacon and 233 Beacon were acquired from the Ingrahams by Peter N. Petritis, trustee of the Paul-Pet Realty Trust. The two properties subsequently changed hands, continuing to be held by the same owners, and on December 31, 1965, were acquired by Robert Waldman and David E. Dick, trustees of the Vayismeer Realty Trust. On January 29, 1968, they transferred 231 Beacon and 233 Beacon (and several other parcels) to themselves as general partners in the Colonial Realty Investment Company.
On September 3, 1969, 233 Beacon was acquired from Robert Waldman and David Dick by Joseph Massik.
The property remained an apartment house in 2016.