Alfred John Manning was born in March of 1851 in Kensington, England, son of Thomas Allen Manning and his wife, Arabella Sarah Longhurst.
He married on April 15, 1885, in Irvington-on-the Hudson, to Elizabeth (Bessie) Pollock Rutter (b. Nov1861 in NY), daughter of James H. Rutter, president of the New York Central and Hudson Railroad, and his wife, Sarah Pollock.
Alfred Manning died on August 20, 1919, in New York City.
Alfred Manning immigrated to the United States in October of 1875. He was an artist and designer for several years, and briefly joined the yacht brokerage firm operated by his brother, Thomas Manning.
From about 1884, he worked with architect Robert Henderson Robertson, and in 1887 he became his partner, head draftsman, and office manager.
Robertson and Manning collaborated on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad station at Mott Haven (1885-1887), the renovation of the New York Club at 370 Fifth Avenue (1893), and a row of housing in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill district (1891).
In about 1900, A. J. Manning opened his own office and continued as a sole practitioner until about 1914.
Among his works the town hall of Irviungton-on Hudson (1902), and Rochroane, a forty-room castle in Irvington, New York, built for Melchior S. Belthoover (1905).
Back Bay Work