Andrew Hopewell Hepburn was born on March 6, 1880, in Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, the son of Robert Hopewell Hepburn and his wife, Elizabeth Hunt.
He married first on January 22, 1907, in Boston, to Beatrice O. Sturgis (b. 5/7Aug1886 in New Brunswick; d. 16Jun1921 in MA), daughter of Russell Sturgis and his wife, Anne Outram Bangs (daughter of Edward Bangs).
He married second in 1941 (Reno NV) to Rosamond Sturgis (Dixey) Brooks (b. 10Jun1887 in Boston; d. 1Jun1948), daughter of Richard C. Dixey and his wife, Ellen S. Tappan. She was the former wife of Gorham Brooks (b. 1871-1872 in Medford), whom she married on June 7, 1913, in Lenox, and divorced ca. 1940.
Andrew Hepburn died on February 28, 1967, in Concord.
Andrew Hepburn graduated from MIT in 1904. After serving as a draftsman for several years and he opened his own office in about 1910. In about 1921, he joined with Thomas Mott Shaw in the firm of Shaw and Hepburn. In 1922, William Graves Perry had joined the firm, which became Perry, Shaw, and Hepburn.
Perry, Shaw, and Hepburn were retained by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., to oversee restoration of Colonial Williamsburg (the work being led by William Graves Perry). Their work also included Wellesley High School, Buifinch Hall in Andover, the Jordan Marsh store in Boston, and St. Stephen’s Church in the South End.
Andrew Hepburn was a designer for the Industrial Village at Bridgeport, Connecticut, onsulting atchitect to the Subsistence Homelands Division of the US Department of Interior, and director of Small House Architects Associates of Boston. His drawing of the US Constitution was selected by the post office as the design of the 3-cent commemorative stamp issued in 1947.
Back Bay Work
|1915||304 Beacon (Remodeling)|
|1930||9 Gloucester (Remodeling) [Perry, Chaw, and Hepburn]|