246 Beacon was designed by Peabody and Stearns, architects, and built in 1887-1888 by George Eldridge, mason.
Plans for the house are included in the Peabody and Stearns Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference PS/MA.165).
The drawings include two alternative renderings of the front elevation. One (which appears to be the original proposal) showing a railing on top of the bay, and the other omitting that feature and, instead, showing railings at the three first floor windows.
The drawings also include the rear and eastern elevations (showing the northern half of the eastern wall, where the house is set back from the property line), floor plans, a roof plan, and a section drawing showing the staircases and selected paneling.
The images below are provided courtesy of the Boston Public Library. The original plans are fragile, faint, and in poor condition, and these images have been gently manipulated to reduce the stains and tears where possible.
Click on the individual images to enlarge them.