251 Marlborough was designed by Peabody and Stearns, architects, and built in 1886 by Andrew Anderson, carpenter, and William L. Clark & Co., masons.
Plans for the house are included in the Peabody and Stearns Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference PS/MA.016).
The plans include two sets of drawings, one on heavy paper and the other on vellum.
The drawings on heavy paper include a front elevation and rear elevation (no longer legible), a section drawing, and three drawings with plans for the first and second floors, third and fourth floors, and basement and roof. The drawing for the third and fourth floor includes several sketched modifications of the cabinetry and shelves on tracing paper affixed to the drawing (not shown in the images below).
The drawings on vellum include the front elevation, rear elevation, section drawing, and the same three drawings with floor plans for the first and second floors, third and fourth floors, and basement and roof.
The images below, provided courtesy of the Boston Public Library, include the drawings on vellum. Although these are better preserved than the drawings on heavy paper, they nevertheless are fragile, faint, and in poor condition, and these images have been gently manipulated to reduce the stains and tears where possible.
Click on the individual images to enlarge them.