259 Marlborough was designed by Peabody and Stearns, architects, and built in 1884-1885.
Plans for house are included in the Peabody and Stearns Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference PS/MA.167).
The drawing of the first and second floor plans includes a notation referring to a June 2, 1884, contract and is signed by the owner and the firms and individuals who built the house, including Melville C. Grant (mason), G. W. & F. Smith Iron Company (iron founders), William Wood (carpenter), P. J. Campbell & Sons (stone), David McIntosh (plasterer), John Farquahar’s Sons (slaters), Thomas Boland (?), Walker & Pratt Manufacturing Co. (stove manufacturers); Baldwin & Emerson (flagging and drain pipe), Page & Littlefield (stair builders), William J. McPherson (decorative painter and stained glass), Erastus B. Badger & Son (coppersmiths), and William A. Johnson (plumber) [descriptions of businesses or trades are from the 1884 and 1885 Boston City Directories].
These images, provided courtesy of the Boston Public Library, include drawings of the front elevation, rear elevation, basement and attic/roof plans, first and second floor plans, third and fourth floor plans, and detail of the stairs and associated paneling.
The original plans are fragile, faint, and in poor condition, and these images have been gently manipulated to reduce the stains and tears where possible.
Click on the individual images to enlarge them.