59 Marlborough was designed by Peabody and Stearns, architects, and built in1873.
Plans for house are included in the Peabody and Stearns Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference PS/MA.047).
The drawing of the front elevation includes a notation referring to a May 3, 1873, contract with the firms and individuals who built the house, including Gideon Currier (builder), Creesy & Noyes (carpenters), John Farquhar & Sons (slaters), Jamieson & Aikens (stone cutters), and Hicks & Badger (coppersmiths) [descriptions of businesses or trades are from the 1873 Boston City Directory]. The drawing of the basement and first floor plans includes a similar note referring to the contract and listing the firms and individuals who worked on the interior, including several of those listed on the front elevation drawing plus James W. Bell (painter and decorator), William Trainor (plumber), John W. Robie (plaster), and John J. McNutt (novelty wood works).
The plans include two alternative renderings of the front façade. One is more restrained and is how the house was built. The other has arched architraves over the front entrance and the windows on the first and second stories. Both drawings include an elaborate balustrade at the top of the building, which may or may not have been built.
These images, provided courtesy of the Boston Public Library, include both versions of the front elevations, the rear elevation, and the floor plans. The plans are fragile and in poor condition, and these images have been gently enhanced to reduce the stains and tears where possible.