The original house at 306 Dartmouth was designed by architects Peabody and Stearns and built on a lot with a 50 foot frontage on Dartmouth and 88 foot frontage on Commonwealth.
Plans for house are included in the Peabody and Stearns Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference PS/MA.154).
The drawing of the front elevation includes a notation referring to a June 21, 1871, contract with the firms and individuals who built the house, including Charles S. Parker & Sons (metal and slate roofers), Weston & Shepard (masons), G. W. & F. Smith (iron works); Carew & Lynch (stonecutters and foundary), A. C. Sanborn & Co. (granite), Benjamin D. Whitcomb (carpenter), John Kelly (unidentified), James L. Wingate (painter), and Beal, Kendall & Co. (coppersmiths) [descriptions of businesses or trades are from the 1871 Boston City Directories].
The scans below are provided courtesy of the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department, Hamady Architects LLC, and First Boston Realty.
Click on the individual images to enlarge them.