Blackall, Clapp, and Whittemore was formed in about 1915 when Clarence Howard Blackall took two members of his office — James Ford Clapp and Charles A. Whittemore — into partnership. In about 1931, Davis W. Clark, Jr., joined the partnership and it became Blackall, Clapp, Whittemore, and Clark. Davis had previously worked as an architect in the firm for a number of years.
Clarence Blackall was a noted designed of ecclesiastical and commercial buildings, and, according to Douglass Shand-Tucci’s Built in Boston, was “widely regarded as the most experienced theater architect in the United States.”
Among the work credited to Clarence Blackall dating from after the formation of Blackall, Clapp, and Whittemore are the Scollay Square Olympia Theatre (1915), Hotel Kenmore (1915); the Little Building at Boylston and Tremont (1916); the Metropolitan Theatre (1924, later the Music Hall and then the Wang), and Temple Ohabei Shalom (1928) in Brookline. The firm also designed a number of apartment buildings.
Back Bay Work