Faulkner and Clarke was a partnership of Horatio Floyd Faulkner and George Ripley Clarke, formed in about 1866 with offices at the Studio Building on Tremont at the corner of Bromfield. In about 1870, Morris Dorr joined the partnership and it became Faulkner, Clarke and Dorr. He left the firm in about 1871 and Faulkner and Clarke continued under their previous name.
Faulkner and Clarke’s work included residential, commercial, and ecclesiastical commissions. In 1872, the firm’s plans were chosen in a design competition for the Church of the Messiah (Unitarian) to be built on the southeast corner of Michigan Avenue and 23rd Street in Chicago. The firm opened a Chicago office with George Clarke as the resident architect and prepared working drawings for the project. The Church subsequently opted for a different design and refused payment to Faulkner and Clarke. The firm sued for payment and their claim was paid only after the case was reviewed by the US Supreme Court (First Unitarian Society of Chicago v. H. Floyd Faulkner and George R. Clarke; decided December 13, 1875).
In May of 1873, H. Floyd Faulkner designed twelve life-size replicas of houses from different nations to be displayed as part of the “Bazaar of the Nations,” a temporary exhibition at the Boston Music Hall to raise funds for the Young Men’s Christian Association.
The partnership was dissolved on February 1, 1874. H. Floyd Faulkner continued to practice in Boston, but died the next year. George Clarke lived temporarily to Chicago while the lawsuit with the Church of the Messiah was pending, and then returned to Boston as an architect, furniture designer, and interior decorator.
Back Bay Work