Index to Deeds: 278 Beacon (Demolished)

The following is an index to property transfer deeds and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase until sale of the building to Charles W. Rowell and its subsequent demolition.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

For transactions related to the successor building, see separate index for 280 Beacon.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
19Jul1930 Old Colony Trust Company, executor of the will of Elizabeth Gardner Amory Charles W. Rowell 5197 304
Transfers of Unimproved Land
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
25Mar1890 Francis L. Higginson Elizabeth G. Amory, wife of Charles W. Amory 1927 134
12Mar1883 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 30 foot frontage) Francis L. Higginson 1591 49
Building restriction agreement prohibiting for thirty years from June 13, 1885, the construction of any structure at the rear of 274 Beacon and of 278 Beacon other than a stable (of no more than one story in height) or outbuildings (intended to impose the same restriction on these properties as contained in the land transfer deed for 276 Beacon entered into on June 13, 1885, between Francis L. Higginson and John S. Allan, formalizing a verbal agreement made at that time)
Date Party One Party Two Party Three Book Page
27Jun1888 Francis L. Higginson and George Higginson, trustees (owners of 274 Beacon) John S. Allan (owners of 276 Beacon) Francis L. Higginson (owner of lot at 278 Beacon) 1830 331