Index to Deeds: 422 Beacon

The following is an index to property transfer deeds and party wall and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase through December 31, 2015.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
12Dec1991 F. Dow Smith and Lester M. Brackley, III, trustees, New England College of Optometry Building Trust (422 Beacon and 426 Beacon) New England College of Optometry 17198 286
10Aug1971 Massachusetts College of Optometry William Baldwin and Otto Hochstadt, trustees, Massachusetts College of Optometry Building Trust 8466 374
10Aug1971 Rohrbough, Inc. (formerly known as Chandler School, Inc., and as Chandler School for Women, Inc.) Massachusetts School of Optometry 8466 366
29Jun1961 Lawrence R. Schumann and Mark Weiner, trustees, 422 Beacon Street Realty Trust Chandler School for Women, Inc. 7572 481
15Jun1959 422 Beacon Street, Inc. Lawrence R. Schumann and Mark Wainer, trustees, 422 Beacon Street Realty Trust 7402 286
12Sep1947 Northern Building Supply Company, Inc. 422 Beacon Street, Inc 6363 551
22Jan1946 Howard S. Cosgrove Northern Building Supply Company, Inc. 6199 277
15Dec1945 Harold S. Perkins Howard S. Cosgrove 6193 21
30Jun1945 John Fox Harold S. Perkins 6163 630
02Dec1944 James B. Regan and Susan C. Regan, husband and wife John Fox 6163 629
05Aug1943 Henry J. O’Meara James B. Regan and Susan C. Regan, husband and wife 6051 31
22Jul1943 Parker Converse Henry J. O’Meara 6051 30
12Jun1941 John L. Hall and Parker Converse, executors of the will of Frances Eugenie Leland Parker Converse, individually 5924 617
Transfers of Unimproved Land: 28 foot wide lot, being the eastern portion of a 60 foot lot composed of a 6 foot 6 inch lot to the west, a 26 foot 6 inch lot, and a 27 foot lot to the east
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
02May1899 Frank W. Crocker (lot with 28 foot frontage) Frances Eugenie Leland, wife of Lester Leland 2604 241
31Mar1896 Oliver Ames (lot with 60 foot frontage) Frank W. Crocker 2347 433
Lot with 6 foot 6 inch frontage, eastern portion of 60 foot lot
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
05Feb1896 William G. Weld and Charles G. Weld, trustees under the will of William F. Weld (lot with 6 foot 6 inch frontage) Oliver Ames 2342 493
24Feb1893 Charles E. Perkins (lot with 60 foot frontage) William G. Weld and Charles G. Weld, trustees under the will of William F. Weld 2114 386
14Jan1886 George Higginson (lot with 27 foot 6 inch frontage) Charles E. Perkins 1708 626
12Jan1886 Ezra Henry Baker (lot with 32 foot 6 inch frontage) Charles E. Perkins 1708 463
06Dec1884 M. Woolsey Borland (lot with 32 foot 6 inch frontage) Ezra Henry Baker 1661 199
14Jan1884 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 330 foot frontage) George Higginson 1624 484
07Dec1882 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 32 foot 6 inch frontage) M. Woolsey Borland 1581 609
Lot with 26 foot 6 inch frontage
24Nov1893 Henry L. Higginson and Francis L. Higginson Oliver Ames 2167 56
08Jun1889 Charles S. Rackemann Henry L. Higginson and Francis L. Higginson 1884 452
08Jun1889 William Minot, Jr., trustee under the will of George Higginson for the benefit of Margaret Gracie Higginson, wife of James J. Higginson, George Higginson, and Mary Lee Blake, wife of Samuel Parkman Blake, Jr.; and Henry L. Higginson and Ida A. Higginson, his wife, in her own right; and Francis L. Higginson. Charles S. Rackemann 1884 451
08Jun1889 George Higginson (formerly Jr.) and William Minot, Jr., executors of the will of George Higginson Charles S. Rackemann 1884 449
14Jan1884 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 330 foot frontage) George Higginson 1624 484
Lot with 27 foot frontage
24Nov1893 Frederic S. Clark and Isabella W. T. Clark, his wife, in her own right (lot with 27 foot frontage) Oliver Ames 2167 58
11Apr1893 Samuel Cabot (lot with 27 foot frontage) Isabella W. T. Clark, wife of Frederic S. Clark 2121 396
05Jul1887 George Higginson Samuel Cabot 1782 637
14Jan1884 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 330 foot frontage) George Higginson 1624 484
Party Wall Agreements
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
02May1899 Frank W. Crocker (owner of lot at 424 Beacon) Frances Eugenie Leland, wife of Lester Leland (owner of lot at 422 Beacon) 2604 555
01Nov1892 Samuel Cabot (owner of lot at 422 Beacon) David Sears, Emily E. Sears, and Henry F. Sears, heirs of Emily E. Sears (owner of lot at 420 Beacon) 2100 505
Building restriction agreement by the owners of 420, 422, 424, 426, and 428 Beacon (428 Beacon being a vacant lot): No building or structure may be constructed north of a line 87 feet north of the building line established by the City of Boston except (a) bay windows, and (b) one story buildings not exceeding in height the top surface of the lower sill of the lowest window in the first story of the present houses at 420-426 Beacon (that point being 24.13 feet above Boston City Base). The right of the owners of 420-426 Beacon to erect and maintain one story stables at the rear of their house remains in full effect.  A portion of the structures at the rear of each premise may be used for a garage to house not more than two automobiles.  The main entrance of any apartment house constructed at 428 Beacon shall be on Hereford Street and no apartment house at 428 Beacon may have more than one suite per floor except on the first floor, where there may be two.  Existing structures that do not comply with these restrictions are not affected by them.  All previous restrictions are discharged.
Date Parties Book Page
08Sep1925 George Richmond Fearing and Charles Theodore Russell (owners of vacant lot at 428 Beacon); Ruth W. Sears, wife of George G. Sears (owner of 426 Beacon); Susan J. Williams (owner of 424 Beacon); Frances E. Leland, wife of Lester Leland (owner of 422 Beacon; and Anna W. Wolbach, wife of S. Burt Wolbach (owner of 420 Beacon). 4721 381
Building restriction agreement by the owners of 416, 418, 420, 422, 424, and 426 Beacon [superceded by agreement on 8Sep1925 with respect to 420-426 Beacon], “desirous of imposing a uniform restriction on their said estates which will prevent the erection of any building or other structure in the rear of any of the said estates which will further materially obstruct the light, air and prospect now enjoyed…”:  Prior to January 1, 1937, no building of more than one story in height (or 27.25 feet above the City of Boston base) may be constructed north of a line running easterly from the western boundary of 426 Beacon to the eastern boundary of 416 Beacon, said line being 92 feet north from the present building line established by the City of Boston for the North side of Beacon (existing agreements and structures not to be affected).
Date Parties Book Page
24Oct1916 Mary R. Bremer  (owner of 416 Beacon), Henry H. Fay and Elizabeth E. Fay (owners of 418 Beacon), William H. Wellington (owner of 420 Beacon), Lester Leland and Frances E. Leland (owners of 422 Beacon), Ralph B. Williams and Susan J. Williams (owners of 424 Beacon), George G. Sears and Ruth W. Sears (owners of 426 Beacon) 3994 242