Index to Deeds: 448 Beacon

The following is an index to property transfer deeds, easements, and party wall and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase until conversion of the building into condominium units.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
27Jul2016 448 Beacon, LLC The Hooper Mansion Condominium 56496 239
20Aug2013 Church of Scientology of Boston, Inc. 448 Beacon, LLC 51997 74
19Dec1975 Shawmut Community Bank Church of Scientology of Boston, Inc. 8841 54
20Jun1975 Chandler School Corporation Shawmut Community Bank 8798 342
15Jun1971 George I. Rohrbough and Martha F. Rohrbough, husband and wife Chandler School Corporation 8455 426
11Apr1949 448 Beacon Street, Inc. George I. Rohrbough and Martha P. Rohrbough, husband and wife 6509 516
12Jan1935 William B. Seignious, Ernest W. Johnson, and Fred W. Pettit, trustees under a bond indenture dated 1Oct1930 448 Beacon Street, Inc 5508 34
11Dec1933 William B. Seignious, Ernest W. Johnson, and Fred W. Pettit, trustees under a bond indenture dated 1Oct1930 (foreclosure of mortgage given by the Boston Square and Compass Club as security for issuance of mortgage bonds) William B. Seignious, Ernest W. Johnson, and Fred W. Pettit, trustees under a bond indenture dated 1Oct1930 5422 75
24Aug1921 Mabel Hunt Slater Boston Masonic Club 4321 330
02May1913 John D. Hardy Mabel Hunt Slater 3728 137
19Nov1912 Charles Paine John D. Hardy 3712 219
15Nov1912 William P. Natale Charles Paine 3686 538
20Sep1912 Lathrop Brown and Helen Hooper Brown, his wife, in her own right William P. Natale 3673 621
27Dec1893 Oliver Ames, 2nd, Samuel Carr, and Oliver W. Mink, trustees under the will of Frederick L. Ames (lot with 55 foot frontage and dwelling house) Helen Ames Hooper, wife of Robert C. Hooper 2171 377
Transfers of Unimproved Land
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
01Mar1888 William G. Saltonstall (lot with 56 foot frontage) Frederick L. Ames 1812 125
10Feb1886 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 56 foot frontage) William G. Saltonstall 1711 401
Party Wall Agreement
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
16May1888 Frederick L. Ames (owner of land at 448 Beacon) William Simes (owner of land at 450 Beacon) 1824 367
Agreement by the owners of property from 448 Beacon to 480 Beacon to extend for ten years, from January 1, 1930, to January 1, 1940, the restrictions on the erection of structures in the rear of their buildings contained in the agreement entered into on 2Aug1909 (Book 3417, p. 541), due to expire on December 31, 1929.  Restrictions to be binding on 448 Beacon only so long as it is owned or occupied by the Boston Square and Compass Club.  [Agreement dated 30Dec1929, Book 5189, p. 601, and refilled with the addition of the Old Colony Trrust Company, trustee, as signator to the agreement dated 9Jun1930, Book 5189, p. 122]
Date of Deed Parties Book Page
09Jun1930 Ellen M. Fenno and Edward N. Nickerson, owners of 450 Beacon; William E. Nickerson and Nellie R. Nickerson, owners of 452 Beacon and 454 Beacon; Albert Matthews, Charles B. Barnes, and Carl H. Baesler, trustees under the will of Nathan Matthews, owners of 456 Beacon; Fanny L. Prince, owner of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport and George Davenport, owners of 460 Beacon; Charles Jackson, Robert A. Jackson, and Susan J. Willliams, owners of 462 Beacon; Louis Curtis and Fanny L. Curtis, owners of 464 Beacon; Homer Loring and May E. Loring, owners of 468 Beacon; A. R. Kimpton and Elizabeth D. Kimpton, owners of 470 Beacon, and Old Colony Trust Company, trustee, assignee of mortgage on 470 Beacon; Harry S. Hall and Ellen N. Hall, owners of 472 Beacon; Francis R. Hart and Helen B. Hart, owners of 474 Beacon; Langdon Frothingham and Olga Frothingham, owners of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper and Gertrude F. Hooper, owners of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill and Edward B. Hill, owners of 480 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Company, mortgage holder of 452, 458, and 470 Beacon. 5917 121
30Dec1929 Ellen M. Fenno and Edward N. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; William E. Nickerson and Nellie R. Nickerson, owners of 452 Beacon and 454 Beacon; Albert Matthews, Charles B. Barnes, and Carl H. Baesler, trustees under the will of Nathan Matthews, owners of 456 Beacon; Fanny L. Prince, owner of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport and George Davenport, owners of 460 Beacon; Charles Jackson, Robert A. Jackson, and Susan J. Willliams, owners of 462 Beacon; Louis Curtis and Fanny L. Curtis, owners of 464 Beacon; Homer Loring and May E. Loring, owners of 468 Beacon; A. R. Kimpton and Elizabeth D. Kimpton, owners of 470 Beacon; Harry S. Hall and Ellen N. Hall, owners of 472 Beacon; Francis R. Hart and Helen B. Hart, owners of 474 Beacon; Langdon Frothingham and Olga Frothingham, owners of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper and Gertrude F. Hooper, owners of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill and Edward B. Hill, owners of 480 Beacon. 5189 601
Building restrictions included in land transfer deed, specifying that no building shall be constructed at 450 Beacon north of a line 100 feet 8 inches north of the north side of Beacon except the usual outbuildings, including stables, and those not to exceed 15 feet in height, provided that if the building at 448 Beacon is extended further north, then the building at 450 Beacon may be extended up to an equal extent north.
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
14May1891 Frederick L. Ames (seller of land at 450 Beacon) Annie H. Farlow (purchaser of land at 450 Beacon) 1995 574
Agreement by the owners 448-450-452-454 Beacon that the building restrictions imposed by the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation, which would expire on January 1, 1900, will remain in force until January 1, 1950.
Date Parties Book Page
15Jan1891 (recorded 1Jun1891) Frederick L. Ames and Rebecca C. Ames, his wife, owners of 448 Beacon and 450 Beacon; Henry P. Quincy and Mary A. Quincy, owners of 452 Beacon; and Francis B. Rice and Sallie B. Rice, owners of 454 Beacon; subsequently signed by Annie Farlow purchaser of 450 Beacon 1998 191
Easement with respect to use of Hereford Street between Beacon and Back Streets, which is a “private way” specifying exclusive right of Church of Scientology to park on along the western portion of the street, and the exclusive right of the New England College of Optometry to park on the easterly portion of the street (recorded with Land Court certificates)
Date of Certificate Party One Party Two Certificate Document Book Page
20Aug2013 Church of Scientology of Boston (owner of 448 Beacon) New England College of Optometry (owner of 426-428 Beacon 81990 822543 405 190