Index to Deeds: 450 Beacon

The following is an index to property transfer deeds and party wall and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase until conversion of the building into condominium units.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
20Aug1940 Henry Bradlee Fenno and State Street Trust Company, trustees under the will of Ellen M. Fenno 450 Beacon Street, Inc. 5876 271
Transfers of Unimproved Land
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
01Mar1895 John W. Farlow and Annie H. Farlow, his wife, in her own right (lot with 26 foot frontage) Ellen M. Fenno, wife of Edward N. Fenno 2260 393
14May1891 Frederick L. Ames (lot with 26 foot frontage) Annie H. Farlow 1995 574
15Aug1890 William Simes (confirmatory deed) (lot with 26 foot frontage) Frederick L. Ames 1957 273
13Dec1889 William Simes (lot with 26 foot frontage) Frederick L. Ames 1913 365
16May1888 Frederick L. Ames (lot with 1 foot frontage) William Simes 1822 237
01Mar1888 William G. Saltonstall (lot with 56 foot frontage) Frederick L. Ames 1812 125
15Mar1886 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 77 foot frontage) William Simes 1715 245
10Feb1886 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 56 foot frontage) William G. Saltonstall 1711 401
Party Wall Agreements
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
16May1888 Frederick L. Ames (owner of land at 448 Beacon) William Simes (owner of land at 450 Beacon) 1824 367
01Nov1887 Henry P. Quincy (owner of land at 452 Beacon) William Simes (owner of land at 450 Beacon) 1816 286
Agreement by all of the owners of property on the north side of Beacon between Hereford and Massachusetts Avenue (excluding the Mt. Vernon Church) “desirous of making such provision as will “continue for twenty years longer [to December 31, 1929] the existing freedom from irregular building and obstruction of view which they now enjoy from the rear portion of their houses” under the existing provisions in original land transfer deeds from the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation for property at 460-490 Beacon which provide: “No buildings other than the usual outbuildings including stables of not more than one story in height shall before January 1, 1910, be erected on said parcel northerly of a line parallel with and ninety feet north from the northerly line of Beacon Street.”  Further agreement that these provisions are modified to permit “bay-windows or swells of any description” that extend up to five feet into the restricted area provided that they do not “cut off the view from any adjoining house.”  Also agreed that the properties located at 448-458 Beacon, the original land deeds for which do not include restrictions on construction in the rear yards, “may remain as at present constructed but unless they already do so shall not be extended any further to the northward” than allowed by the restrictions in the agreement.  And agreed that nothing in the agreement shall “affect or impair any restrictions now in force … or any agreement now existing between any of the owners.”
Date Parties Book Page
02Aug1909 Helen Hooper (by Philip Dexter, her guardian), owner of 448 Beacon; Ellen M. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; Mary Quincy Adams, owner of 452 Beacon; Fanny Young, owner of 454 Beacon; Nathan Matthews, Francis C. Welch, and Quincy A. Shaw, trustees under a trust from William B. Green, mortgagees of 456 Beacon; Morton Prince and Fanny L. Prince, owners of 458 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Co., mortgagee of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport, owner of 460 Beacon; Provident Institution for Savings in the Twon of Boston, mortgagee of 460 Beacon; Robert H. Gardiner, George Dexter, and Philip Dexter, trustees under the will of William S. Dexter, mortgagees of 462 Beacon; Fanny L. Curtis, owner of 464 Beacon; Laura L. Case, owner of 466 Beacon; Caroline S. Freeman, owner of 470  Beacon; Harry S. Hall, owner of 472 Beacon; Katharine C. Pierce, owner of 474 Beacon; Eugenia Frothingham, owner of 476 Beacon; Laurence Minot, trustee under the will of Mary M. Gaillard, mortgageee of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper, owner of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill, owner of 480 Beacon; Alonzo G. Van Nostrand, owner of 482 Beacon; Lila Sutton Scoville, formerly Lila Sutton Young, owner of 484 Beacon; William M. Butler, owner of 486 Beacon; Ellen S. Bacon, mortgagee ot 486 Beacon; and Harriet L. Putnam, owner of 488 Beacon; and Joseph W. Smith, owner of 490 Beacon. 3417 541
Building restrictions included in land transfer deed, specifying that no building shall be constructed at 450 Beacon north of a line 100 feet 8 inches north of the north side of Beacon except the usual outbuildings, including stables, and those not to exceed 15 feet in height, provided that if the building at 448 Beacon is extended further north, then the building at 450 Beacon may be extended up to an equal extent north.
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
14May1891 Frederick L. Ames (seller of land at 450 Beacon) Annie H. Farlow (purchaser of land at 450 Beacon) 1995 574
Agreement by the owners 448-450-452-454-456 Beacon the the building restrictions imposed by the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation, which would expire on January 1, 1900, will remain in force until January 1, 1950.
Date Parties Book Page
15Jan1891 Frederick L. Ames and Rebecca C. Ames, his wife, owners of 448 Beacon; Annie Farlow owner of (450 Beacon); Henry P. Quincy and Mary A. Quincy, owners of 452 Beacon; and Francis B. Rice and Sallie B. Rice, owners of 454 Beacon. 1998 191