Index to Deeds: 454 Beacon

The following is an index to property transfer deeds and party wall and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase through December 31, 2015.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
06Dec1949 Harry Alba Smith 454 Beacon Street, Inc. 6566 229
28Feb1946 Old Colony Trust Company, trustee under the will of William E. Nickerson Harry Alba Smith and Alice Nickerson Smith, husband and wife 6208 288
20Sep1921 Philip Dexter and Herbert R. Young, executors of the will of Fanny Young William E. Nickerson 4318 247
31Aug1905 Francis B. Rice and Sallie B. Rice, his wife, in her own right Fanny Young 3070 461
20May1892 Amory Eliot Sallie Blake Rice, wife of Francis Blake Rice 2062 550
20May1892 Francis Blake Rice Amory Eliot 2062 548
Transfers of Unimproved Land
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
10May1890 Henry P. Quincy and Nathan Matthews, Jr. (lot with 26 foot frontage) Francis B. Rice 1934 582
08Apr1890 Richard C. Dixey and Ellen S. Dixey, his wife, in her own right (lot with 26 foot frontage) Henry P. Quincy and Nathan Matthews, Jr. 1929 2
15Mar1887 William Simes (lot with 26 foot frontage) Ellen S. Dixey, wife of Richard C. Dixey 1764 5
15Mar1886 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 77 foot frontage) William Simes 1715 245
Party Wall Agreement
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
01Nov1887 Ellen S. Dixey, wife of Richard C. Dixey (owner of land at 454 Beacon) Henry P. Quincy (owner of land at 452 Beacon) 1816 284
Agreement by the owners of property from 448 Beacon to 480 Beacon to extend for ten years, from January 1, 1930, to January 1, 1940, the restrictions on the erection of structures in the rear of their buildings contained in the agreement entered into on 2Aug1909 (Book 3417, p. 541), due to expire on December 31, 1929.  Restrictions to be binding on 448 Beacon only so long as it is owned or occupied by the Boston Square and Compass Club.  [Agreement dated 30Dec1929, Book 5189, p. 601, and refiled with the addition of the Old Colony Trust Company, trustee, as signator to the agreement dated 9Jun1930, Book 5189, p. 122]
Date of Deed Parties Book Page
09Jun1930 Ellen M. Fenno and Edward N. Nickerson, owners of 450 Beacon; William E. Nickerson and Nellie R. Nickerson, owners of 452 Beacon and 454 Beacon; Albert Matthews, Charles B. Barnes, and Carl H. Baesler, trustees under the will of Nathan Matthews, owners of 456 Beacon; Fanny L. Prince, owner of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport and George Davenport, owners of 460 Beacon; Charles Jackson, Robert A. Jackson, and Susan J. Willliams, owners of 462 Beacon; Louis Curtis and Fanny L. Curtis, owners of 464 Beacon; Homer Loring and May E. Loring, owners of 468 Beacon; A. R. Kimpton and Elizabeth D. Kimpton, owners of 470 Beacon, and Old Colony Trust Company, trustee, assignee of mortgage on 470 Beacon; Harry S. Hall and Ellen N. Hall, owners of 472 Beacon; Francis R. Hart and Helen B. Hart, owners of 474 Beacon; Langdon Frothingham and Olga Frothingham, owners of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper and Gertrude F. Hooper, owners of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill and Edward B. Hill, owners of 480 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Company, mortgage holder of 452, 458, and 470 Beacon. 5917 121
30Dec1929 Ellen M. Fenno and Edward N. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; William E. Nickerson and Nellie R. Nickerson, owners of 452 Beacon and 454 Beacon; Albert Matthews, Charles B. Barnes, and Carl H. Baesler, trustees under the will of Nathan Matthews, owners of 456 Beacon; Fanny L. Prince, owner of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport and George Davenport, owners of 460 Beacon; Charles Jackson, Robert A. Jackson, and Susan J. Willliams, owners of 462 Beacon; Louis Curtis and Fanny L. Curtis, owners of 464 Beacon; Homer Loring and May E. Loring, owners of 468 Beacon; A. R. Kimpton and Elizabeth D. Kimpton, owners of 470 Beacon; Harry S. Hall and Ellen N. Hall, owners of 472 Beacon; Francis R. Hart and Helen B. Hart, owners of 474 Beacon; Langdon Frothingham and Olga Frothingham, owners of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper and Gertrude F. Hooper, owners of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill and Edward B. Hill, owners of 480 Beacon. 5189 601
Agreement by all of the owners of property on the north side of Beacon between Hereford and Massachusetts Avenue (excluding the Mt. Vernon Church) “desirous of making such provision as will continue for twenty years longer [to December 31, 1929] the existing freedom from irregular building and obstruction of view which they now enjoy from the rear portion of their houses” under the existing provisions in original land transfer deeds from the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation for property at 460-490 Beacon which provide: “No buildings other than the usual outbuildings including stables of not more than one story in height shall before January 1, 1910, be erected on said parcel northerly of a line parallel with and ninety feet north from the northerly line of Beacon Street.”  Further agreement that these provisions are modified to permit “bay-windows or swells of any description” that extend up to five feet into the restricted area provided that they do not “cut off the view from any adjoining house.”  Also agreed that the properties located at 448-458 Beacon, the original land deeds for which do not include restrictions on construction in the rear yards, “may remain as at present constructed but unless they already do so shall not be extended any further to the northward” than allowed by the restrictions in the agreement.  And agreed that nothing in the agreement shall “affect or impair any restrictions now in force … or any agreement now existing between any of the owners.”
Date Parties Book Page
02Aug1909 Helen Hooper (by Philip Dexter, her guardian), owner of 448 Beacon; Ellen M. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; Mary Quincy Adams, owner of 452 Beacon; Fanny Young, owner of 454 Beacon; Nathan Matthews, Francis C. Welch, and Quincy A. Shaw, trustees under a trust from William B. Green, mortgagees of 456 Beacon; Morton Prince and Fanny L. Prince, owners of 458 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Co., mortgagee of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport, owner of 460 Beacon; Provident Institution for Savings in the Town of Boston, mortgagee of 460 Beacon; Robert H. Gardiner, George Dexter, and Philip Dexter, trustees under the will of William S. Dexter, mortgagees of 462 Beacon; Fanny L. Curtis, owner of 464 Beacon; Laura L. Case, owner of 466 Beacon; Caroline S. Freeman, owner of 470  Beacon; Harry S. Hall, owner of 472 Beacon; Katharine C. Pierce, owner of 474 Beacon; Eugenia Frothingham, owner of 476 Beacon; Laurence Minot, trustee under the will of Mary M. Gaillard, mortgageee of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper, owner of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill, owner of 480 Beacon; Alonzo G. Van Nostrand, owner of 482 Beacon; Lila Sutton Scoville, formerly Lila Sutton Young, owner of 484 Beacon; William M. Butler, owner of 486 Beacon; Ellen S. Bacon, mortgagee ot 486 Beacon; and Harriet L. Putnam, owner of 488 Beacon; and Joseph W. Smith, owner of 490 Beacon. 3417 541
Agreement by the owners of 448-450-452-454 Beacon that the building restrictions imposed by the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation, which would expire on January 1, 1900, will remain in force until January 1, 1950.
Date Parties Book Page
15Jan1891 (recorded 1Jun1891) Frederick L. Ames and Rebecca C. Ames, his wife, owners of 448 Beacon and 450 Beacon; Henry P. Quincy and Mary A. Quincy, owners of 452 Beacon; and Francis B. Rice and Sallie B. Rice, owners of 454 Beacon; subsequently signed by Annie Farlow purchaser of 450 Beacon 1998 191
Agreement by the owners of 452-454-456-458 Beacon that, before January 1, 1910, no building, other than usual outbuildings (including stables) of no more than one story in height, shall be built at 452 Beacon north of a line 105 feet north of and parallel with Beacon Street; nor at 454 Beacon north of a line 96 feet north of and parallel with Beacon nor north of a line starting at a point on the boundary between 454 and 456 Beacon 83 feet north of Beacon and running east at a 40 degree angle; nor at 456 Beacon north of a line 95 feet north of and parallel with Beacon nor north of a line starting at a point on the boundary between 454 and 456 Beacon 83 feet north of Beacon and running west at a 40 degree angle; nor at 458 Beacon north of a line 95 feet north of and parallel with Beacon.
Date Parties Book Page
10May1890 Henry P. Quincy, owner of lot at 452 Beacon; Francis B. Rice, owner of lot at 454 Beacon; Nathan Matthews, Jr., owner of lot at 456 Beacon; and Thomas R. White, owner of lot at 458 Beacon. 1934 583