Index to Deeds: 458 Beacon

The following is an index to property transfer deeds and party wall and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase until conversion of the building into condominium units.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
27Dec1978 Eugene W. Friedrich, trustee, 458 Beacon Street Trust 458 Beacon Condominium 9132 41
26Jun1978 Alfred Mirulla and Bice I. Mirulla, husband and wife Eugene W. Friedrich, trustee, 458 Beacon Street Trust 9067 711
20Jul1971 Martin E. Sher Alfred Mirulla and Bice I. Mirulla, husband and wife 8460 503
21Jun1971 Allan B. Schwartz (also known as Allen B. Schwartz) and Duco Associates, Inc. (foreclosure of mortgage given by William B. Strong to Allan Schwartz and Duco Associates, and sold by them to Martin Sher) Martin Sher 8453 405
30Jan1967 Frank Brezniak William B. Strong, trustee, Berkeley Trust 8095 299
16Dec1966 Joseph P. Carpinteri, Charles G. Raso, Joseph J. Notarangeli, trustees, The Nashua Realty Trust (foreclosure of mortgage) Frank Brezniak 8087 575
31Aug1965 Joseph P. Carpinteri Joseph P. Carpinteri, Charles G. Raso, and Joseph J. Nutarangeli, trustees, Nashua Realty Trust 7978 506
31Jul1965 Jack E. Molesworth Joseph P. Carpinteri 7971 596
28Jul1965 Old Colony Trust Company, executor of the will of Edward T. P. Graham Jack E. Molesworth 7970 174
29Mar1934 Fanny L. Prince Edward T. P. Graham 5453 590
02Jun1900 Melville M. Weston Morton Prince 3586 431
02Jun1900 Fanny Lithgow Prince Melville M. Weston 3586 430
18Sep1894 Nathan Matthews Fanny L. Prince, wife of Morton Prince 2225 299
04Jun1892 George E. Howe (foreclosure of mortgage given by Seth R. Baker to Rollin H. Allen, assigned to George E. Howe and assumed by Thomas R. White) Nathan Matthews 2064 436
07Mar1892 Constant S. Matthews Nathan Matthews 2047 542
15Oct1891 Thomas R. White (foreclosure of mortgage given to Nathan Matthews) Constant S. Matthews 2027 321
08Sep1891 City of Boston (tax taking and sale at auction for delinquent taxes due from Thomas R. White) Nathan Matthews 2020 84
12Mar1890 Nathan Matthews (lot with 24 foot frontage “with the foundations thereon situated”) Thomas R. White 1933 218
Transfers of Unimproved Land
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
12Mar1890 Seth R. Baker (lot with 24 foot frontage) Nathan Matthews 1924 503
08Feb1890 Leverett S. Tuckerman and Francis Peabody, Jr., trustees under the will of William G. Saltonstall (lot with 24 foot frontage) Seth R. Baker 1920 485
24Jan1887 Henry M. White (lot with 24 foot frontage) William G. Saltonstall 1757 469
02Jun1886 Francis W. Kittredge and Mary H. Kittredge, his wife, in her own right (lot with 24 foot frontage) Henry M. White 1727 168
24Apr1886 Nathan Matthews (lot with 24 foot frontage) Mary H. Kittredge, wife of Francis W. Kittredge 1720 360
24Apr1886 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 48 foot frontage) Nathan Matthews 1720 357
Party Wall Agreements
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
18May1886 Nathan Matthews (owner of lot at 456 Beacon) Francis W. Kittredge and Mary H. Kittredge, his wife, in her own right (owner of lot at 458 Beacon) 1725 250
Agreement by the owners of property from 448 Beacon to 480 Beacon to extend for ten years, from January 1, 1930, to January 1, 1940, the restrictions on the erection of structures in the rear of their buildings contained in the agreement entered into on 2Aug1909 (Book 3417, p. 541), due to expire on December 31, 1929.  Restrictions to be binding on 448 Beacon only so long as it is owned or occupied by the Boston Square and Compass Club.  [Agreement dated 30Dec1929, Book 5189, p. 601, and refiled with the addition of the Old Colony Trust Company, trustee, as signator to the agreement dated 9Jun1930, Book 5189, p. 122]
Date of Deed Parties Book Page
09Jun1930 Ellen M. Fenno and Edward N. Nickerson, owners of 450 Beacon; William E. Nickerson and Nellie R. Nickerson, owners of 452 Beacon and 454 Beacon; Albert Matthews, Charles B. Barnes, and Carl H. Baesler, trustees under the will of Nathan Matthews, owners of 456 Beacon; Fanny L. Prince, owner of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport and George Davenport, owners of 460 Beacon; Charles Jackson, Robert A. Jackson, and Susan J. Willliams, owners of 462 Beacon; Louis Curtis and Fanny L. Curtis, owners of 464 Beacon; Homer Loring and May E. Loring, owners of 468 Beacon; A. R. Kimpton and Elizabeth D. Kimpton, owners of 470 Beacon, and Old Colony Trust Company, trustee, assignee of mortgage on 470 Beacon; Harry S. Hall and Ellen N. Hall, owners of 472 Beacon; Francis R. Hart and Helen B. Hart, owners of 474 Beacon; Langdon Frothingham and Olga Frothingham, owners of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper and Gertrude F. Hooper, owners of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill and Edward B. Hill, owners of 480 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Company, mortgage holder of 452, 458, and 470 Beacon. 5917 121
30Dec1929 Ellen M. Fenno and Edward N. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; William E. Nickerson and Nellie R. Nickerson, owners of 452 Beacon and 454 Beacon; Albert Matthews, Charles B. Barnes, and Carl H. Baesler, trustees under the will of Nathan Matthews, owners of 456 Beacon; Fanny L. Prince, owner of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport and George Davenport, owners of 460 Beacon; Charles Jackson, Robert A. Jackson, and Susan J. Willliams, owners of 462 Beacon; Louis Curtis and Fanny L. Curtis, owners of 464 Beacon; Homer Loring and May E. Loring, owners of 468 Beacon; A. R. Kimpton and Elizabeth D. Kimpton, owners of 470 Beacon; Harry S. Hall and Ellen N. Hall, owners of 472 Beacon; Francis R. Hart and Helen B. Hart, owners of 474 Beacon; Langdon Frothingham and Olga Frothingham, owners of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper and Gertrude F. Hooper, owners of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill and Edward B. Hill, owners of 480 Beacon. 5189 601
Agreement by all of the owners of property on the north side of Beacon between Hereford and Massachusetts Avenue (excluding the Mt. Vernon Church) “desirous of making such provision as will continue for twenty years longer [to December 31, 1929] the existing freedom from irregular building and obstruction of view which they now enjoy from the rear portion of their houses” under the existing provisions in original land transfer deeds from the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation for property at 460-490 Beacon which provide: “No buildings other than the usual outbuildings including stables of not more than one story in height shall before January 1, 1910, be erected on said parcel northerly of a line parallel with and ninety feet north from the northerly line of Beacon Street.”  Further agreement that these provisions are modified to permit “bay-windows or swells of any description” that extend up to five feet into the restricted area provided that they do not “cut off the view from any adjoining house.”  Also agreed that the properties located at 448-458 Beacon, the original land deeds for which do not include restrictions on construction in the rear yards, “may remain as at present constructed but unless they already do so shall not be extended any further to the northward” than allowed by the restrictions in the agreement.  And agreed that nothing in the agreement shall “affect or impair any restrictions now in force … or any agreement now existing between any of the owners.”
Date Parties Book Page
02Aug1909 Helen Hooper (by Philip Dexter, her guardian), owner of 448 Beacon; Ellen M. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; Mary Quincy Adams, owner of 452 Beacon; Fanny Young, owner of 454 Beacon; Nathan Matthews, Francis C. Welch, and Quincy A. Shaw, trustees under a trust from William B. Green, mortgagees of 456 Beacon; Morton Prince and Fanny L. Prince, owners of 458 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Co., mortgagee of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport, owner of 460 Beacon; Provident Institution for Savings in the Town of Boston, mortgagee of 460 Beacon; Robert H. Gardiner, George Dexter, and Philip Dexter, trustees under the will of William S. Dexter, mortgagees of 462 Beacon; Fanny L. Curtis, owner of 464 Beacon; Laura L. Case, owner of 466 Beacon; Caroline S. Freeman, owner of 470  Beacon; Harry S. Hall, owner of 472 Beacon; Katharine C. Pierce, owner of 474 Beacon; Eugenia Frothingham, owner of 476 Beacon; Laurence Minot, trustee under the will of Mary M. Gaillard, mortgageee of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper, owner of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill, owner of 480 Beacon; Alonzo G. Van Nostrand, owner of 482 Beacon; Lila Sutton Scoville, formerly Lila Sutton Young, owner of 484 Beacon; William M. Butler, owner of 486 Beacon; Ellen S. Bacon, mortgagee ot 486 Beacon; and Harriet L. Putnam, owner of 488 Beacon; and Joseph W. Smith, owner of 490 Beacon. 3417 541
Agreement by the owners of 452-454-456-458 Beacon that, before January 1, 1910, no building, other than usual outbuildings (including stables) of no more than one story in height, shall be built at 452 Beacon north of a line 105 feet north of and parallel with Beacon Street; nor at 454 Beacon north of a line 96 feet north of and parallel with Beacon nor north of a line starting at a point on the boundary between 454 and 456 Beacon 83 feet north of Beacon and running east at a 40 degree angle; nor at 456 Beacon north of a line 95 feet north of and parallel with Beacon nor north of a line starting at a point on the boundary between 454 and 456 Beacon 83 feet north of Beacon and running west at a 40 degree angle; nor at 458 Beacon north of a line 95 feet north of and parallel with Beacon.
Date Parties Book Page
10May1890 Henry P. Quincy, owner of lot at 452 Beacon; Francis B. Rice, owner of lot at 454 Beacon; Nathan Matthews, Jr., owner of lot at 456 Beacon; and Thomas R. White, owner of lot at 458 Beacon. 1934 583
Agreement by the owners of 458 Beacon and 460 Beacon that, before January 1, 1910, no building, other than usual outbuildings (including stables) of no more than one story in height, shall be built at 458 Beacon north of a line starting at a point on the boundary between 458 and 460 Beacon 85 feet north of the north side of Beacon and running east at a 45 degree angle, nor at 460 Beacon north of a line starting at a point on the boundary between 458 and 460 Beacon 85 feet north of the north side of Beacon and running west at a 45 degree angle
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
01Aug1890 Thomas R. White (owner of lot at 458 Beacon) George H. Davenport (owner of lot at 460 Beacon) 1953 201
Agreement by the owners of land at 456 and 458 Beacon that the rear of the dwelling houses constructed on their respective lots shall not extend further north than 84 feet from the north side of Beacon, with the exception of bay windows and other usual projections, which may extend five more feet.  The restriction does not apply to outbuildings of no more than one story in height nor to stables.  The restriction on each dwelling house expires one year after the completion of its construction.
Date Party One Party Two Book Page
08Jun1886 Henry M. White (owner of lot at 458 Beacon) Nathan Matthews (owner of lot at 456 Beacon) 1735 238