Index to Deeds: 488 Beacon

The following is an index to property transfer deeds and building restriction agreements recorded at the Suffolk County Deed Registry from the original land purchase until conversion of the building into condominium units.  Mortgages, trust agreements, and other similar recorded documents are not included.  This index is intended as a guide only; actual deeds should be reviewed for details.

Transfers of Land and Buildings
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
15Jun1979 Malcolm MacPhail and Dominick Scarfo, trustees, Dinjian & Dinjian Realty Trust (486-488 Beacon) 486-488 Beacon Street Condominium 9194 183
29Dec1977 Karnig S. Dinjian and Nubar J. Dinjian, trustees, The Two-D Realty Trust (486-488 Beacon) Malcolm MacPhail and Dominick Scarfo, trustees, Dinjian & Dinjian Realty Trust 9025 295
31Aug1976 Nubar J. Dinjian (486-488 Beacon) Karnig S. Dinjian and Nubar J. Dinjian, trustees, The Two-D Realty Trust 8900 203
31Aug1976 Karnig S. Dinjian and Nubar J. Dinjian (foreclosure of mortgage on 486-488 Beacon given by Anthony P. Baker to the Stephen Finance Company and assigned to Karnig Dinjian and Nubar Dinjian) (486-488 Beacon) Nubar J. Dinjian 8900 201
14Mar1973 Kenneth L. Shaw (486-488 Beacon) Anthony P. Baker 8612 436
14Mar1973 Wesley Foundation in Cambridge (confirmatory deed, 486-488 Beacon) Kenneth L. Shaw 8612 434
13Jan1970 Wesley Foundation in Cambridge (486-488 Beacon) Kenneth L. Shaw 8342 556
28Dec1962 George Irwin Rohrbough (40 percent undivided interest,486-488 Beacon) Wesley Foundation in Cambridge 7711 212
28Dec1961 George Irwin Rohrbough (60 percent undivided interest, 486-488 Beacon) Wesley Foundation in Cambridge 7616 130
26Sep1959 Edward T. P. Graham (486-488 Beacon) George Irwin Rohrbough 7428 475
23Sep1920 William L. Putnam, Charles R. L. Putnam, and James L. Putnam; and William L. Putnam and James L. Putnam, executors of the will of Harriet L. Putnam Edward T. P. Graham 4253 129
15Apr1893 Eugene H. Fay (lot with 22.67 foot frontage and dwelling house) Harriet L. Putnam, wife of George Putnam 2122 366
Transfers of Unimproved Land
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
03May1892 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation (lot with 114 foot frontage) Eugene H. Fay 2057 9
Agreement by all of the owners of property on the north side of Beacon between Hereford and Massachusetts Avenue (excluding the Mt. Vernon Church) “desirous of making such provision as will continue for twenty years longer [to December 31, 1929] the existing freedom from irregular building and obstruction of view which they now enjoy from the rear portion of their houses” under the existing provisions in original land transfer deeds from the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation for property at 460-490 Beacon which provide: “No buildings other than the usual outbuildings including stables of not more than one story in height shall before January 1, 1910, be erected on said parcel northerly of a line parallel with and ninety feet north from the northerly line of Beacon Street.”  Further agreement that these provisions are modified to permit “bay-windows or swells of any description” that extend up to five feet into the restricted area provided that they do not “cut off the view from any adjoining house.”  Also agreed that the properties located at 448-458 Beacon, the original land deeds for which do not include restrictions on construction in the rear yards, “may remain as at present constructed but unless they already do so shall not be extended any further to the northward” than allowed by the restrictions in the agreement.  And agreed that nothing in the agreement shall “affect or impair any restrictions now in force … or any agreement now existing between any of the owners.”
Date Parties Book Page
02Aug1909 Helen Hooper (by Philip Dexter, her guardian), owner of 448 Beacon; Ellen M. Fenno, owner of 450 Beacon; Mary Quincy Adams, owner of 452 Beacon; Fanny Young, owner of 454 Beacon; Nathan Matthews, Francis C. Welch, and Quincy A. Shaw, trustees under a trust from William B. Green, mortgagees of 456 Beacon; Morton Prince and Fanny L. Prince, owners of 458 Beacon; Massachusetts Hospital Life Insurance Co., mortgagee of 458 Beacon; Camilla C. Davenport, owner of 460 Beacon; Provident Institution for Savings in the Town of Boston, mortgagee of 460 Beacon; Robert H. Gardiner, George Dexter, and Philip Dexter, trustees under the will of William S. Dexter, mortgagees of 462 Beacon; Fanny L. Curtis, owner of 464 Beacon; Laura L. Case, owner of 466 Beacon; Caroline S. Freeman, owner of 470  Beacon; Harry S. Hall, owner of 472 Beacon; Katharine C. Pierce, owner of 474 Beacon; Eugenia Frothingham, owner of 476 Beacon; Laurence Minot, trustee under the will of Mary M. Gaillard, mortgageee of 476 Beacon; James R. Hooper, owner of 478 Beacon; Alison B. Hill, owner of 480 Beacon; Alonzo G. Van Nostrand, owner of 482 Beacon; Lila Sutton Scoville, formerly Lila Sutton Young, owner of 484 Beacon; William M. Butler, owner of 486 Beacon; Ellen S. Bacon, mortgagee ot 486 Beacon; and Harriet L. Putnam, owner of 488 Beacon; and Joseph W. Smith, owner of 490 Beacon. 3417 541
Building restriction included in land transfer deed specifying that, before January 1, 1910, no building, other than the usual outbuildings (including stables) of no more than one story in height, may be built north of a line 90 feet north of the north side of Beacon.
Date of Deed Grantor Grantee Book Page
03May1892 Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation Eugene H. Fay 2057 9