James E. McLaughlin was born in 1874-1875 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the son of James McLaughlin and his wife, Mary Mulcahy.
He married on April 40, 1908, in Boston, to Mary J. Ratigan (b. 1874-1875 in Boston), daughter of Thomas Ratigan and his wife, Ellen Heany.
James McLaughlin was an architect in Boston from about 1905. In 1912, he designed Fenway Park, and in 1914-1915 he designed the Commonwealth Armory (1914-1915; demolished 2002 and replaced by the Agganis Arena in 2004).
In about 1914, G. Houston Burr joined his office as a draftsman. By 1915, Burr was an architect in the office, and in 1920 McLaughlin took him into partnership, forming the firm of McLaughlin and Burr.
McLaughlin and Burr remained active into the 1950s. It designed a number of public, commercial, and residential buildings. Among their works were Temple Israel and the Elks Hotel (275 Tremont, later the Bradford Hotel) in Boston, and a number of schools, including Boston Latin School, Belmont High School, Watertown High School, Salem High School, the Mary E. Curley School in Jamaica Plain, and Dorchester High School.
Back Bay Work
|1925||65 Commonwealth [McLaughlin and Burr]|