Miles Standish Richmond was born on May 17, 1876, in Boston, the son of Charles Cushing Standish and his wife, Emma J. Standish (daughter of Lemuel Miles Standish).
He died on December 23, 1957.
Miles Richmond never married.
Miles Standish Richmond attended MIT from 1895 to 1899, after which he joined the offices of architects Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge. His father died in November of 1900 and he left the practice of architecture to assume management of his father’s firm, dealers in oils, refined camphene, inks, and similar products. He continued oeprate the company until about 1917.
By the early 1920s, Miles Richmond had resumed practicing architecture and he was indicated as being an architect in the 1920 US Census. His primary employment, however, was as a sales engineer with a heating and ventilation company.
By 1924, he had opened an office as a construction engineer. The 1930 US Census indicated his occupation as “architect and engineer,” but he continued to list himself as a construction engineer in the Boston City Directories until 1939, when he established himself as an architect.
That same year, he joined with the Metropolitan Federal Savings and Loan Association of Boston in offering “a complete architectural service” to prospective home builders. The bank published A Group of Fifty New England Colonial Homes from the Designs of Miles Standish Richmond, Architect, from which prospective home builders could choose their design. They then worked with Richmond to refine their plans, and with the bank to secure financing.
Miles Richmond continued as a sole practitioner in Boston until the mid-1950s, and probably until his death in December of 1957.
Back Bay Work
|1947||166 Beacon (Remodeling)|