Monks and Johnson was formed in 1906, a partnership of Archibald G. Monks and Granville Johnson. It was primarily an engineering firm but also provided architectural services. Granville Johnson withdraw from the firm in about 1926 and moved to Santa Barbara, California, where he died in March of 1932. After his departure, Henri D. A. Ganteaume and Ernest W. McMullen were named in the City Directories as principals of the firm along with Monks. Ganteaume remained with the firm until about 1931, and McMullen remained until it was dissolved in about 1936. Archibald Monks died in February of 1957.
Monks and Johnson’s practice focused primarily on commercial and industrial buildings. Among their work were the Doran-Speidel Building in Providence (1912); Charles R. Wilbur School in Sharon (1922); Building X at the Forbes Company factory in Chelsea (1923); the Dennison Manufacturing Company paper box factory in Marlborough (1923); Quincy Patriot Building in Quincy (1924); and the Courier-Express Building in Buffalo (1930).
Back Bay Work
|1929||234-236 Clarendon (Remodeling)|