Parkman Blake Haven was born on July 8, 1859, in San Francisco, the son of Richard Smith Haven and his wife, Georgiana Penniman (daughter of Thomas Jefferson Penniman).
He died on September 2, 1943, in Boston.
He was unmarried.
Parkman Haven was a draftsman with the office of Edmund March Wheelwright in the mid-1880s. In 1888, they formed the partnership of Wheelwright and Haven. In 1911, Edward Harrison Hoyt, an architect in the firm’s office, became a partner and the firm became Wheelwright, Haven, and Hoyt. Edmund Wheelwright died in August of 1912, and the firm continued as Haven and Hoyt until the late 1920s. Thereafter, both Parkman Haven and Edward Hoyt continued as sole practicitioners.
Wheelwright and Haven designed (among other buildings) Horticultural Hall (1901) at 300 Massachusetts Avenue; the New England Conservatory of Music (1901) and Jordan Hall (1904) at 190-294 Huntington Avenue; and the Harvard Lampoon Castle (1909) in Harvard Square.
Wheelwright, Haven, and Hoyt designed (among other works) the Anderson Memorial Bridge connecting Allston with Cambridge, completed in 1913 after Edmund Wheelwright’s death.
Haven and Hoyt designed residential and commercial buildings, including buildings at Massachusetts General Hospital, Salem Hospital, and Faulkner Hospital. They also designed (with Fay, Spofford, and Thorndike) the Springfield Memorial Bridge across the Connecticut River in 1922.
Back Bay Work
|1924||222-224 Beacon (Remodeling) [Haven and Hoyt]|