Samuel J. F. Thayer was born on August 19, 1842, in Boston, the son of Rev. Richard Thayer and his wife, Roxanna Vaughan.
He married on November 28, 1864, in Boston, to Emeline W. Goodwin (b. 1841-1842 in Boston; d. 26Oct1909 in Boston), daughter of Henry M. Goodwin and his wife, Lucy Jenkins.
Samuel Thayer died on February 28, 1893, in Boston, a suicide.
Samuel F. J. Thayer was apprenticed at sixteen to T. D. Towle, where he remained for about three years. In 1862, he enlisted in the U. S. Army and served in the Corps of Engineers.
Thayer was a founding member (1867) and first secretary of the Boston Society of Architects.
Among his works were the City Hall in Providence (1878); Brookline Town Hall; Stoughton Town Hall; Jordan Marsh’s main store (1880; demolished); the Potter Building (1885) at 202 Boylston; the Thorndike Hotel (1885) at 240 Boylston; The Tudor (1885-1887), a large apartment house at the corner of Beacon and Joy Streets; and Wilson Hall at Dartmouth College (1884-1885).
Back Bay Work