Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge was formed in June of 1886, a partnership of George Foster Shepley, Charles H. Rutan, and Charles Allerton Coolidge. The firm was the successor to the architectural offices of Henry Hobson Richardson, in whose offices all three had worked. George Shepley was Richardson’s son-in-law, and Charles Coolidge was Shepley’s brother-in-law.
Shepley died in 1903 and Rutan died in 1914. Charles Coolidge took into partnership George Shattuck, who had been with the firm for many years, and the firm became Coolidge and Shattuck.
In 1924, Francis Vaughn Bulfinch, Henry Richardson Shepley (George Shepley’s son), and Lewis B. Abbott were taken into partnership, and the firm became Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch, and Abbott. Coolidge died in 1936, but the firm continued to include his name until 1952, after Joseph Priestley Richardson was made a partner and the firm became Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, and Abbott.
Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge designed numerous buildings of note, among them the Stanford University’s Quadrangle in Palo Alto (1888-1891); Bell Telephone Building in St. Louis (1889); the Chicago Public Library (1892); South Station in Boston (1892); the Ames Building (1893) in Boston; completion of Trinity Church in Boston, including refining the two west towers and adding the tripartite porch (1894-1897); Conant Hall at Harvard (1894); the John Carter Brown library at Brown University (1904); the Harvard Medical School (1906); and Langdell Hall at Harvard Law School (1907).
Back Bay Work
|1899||15 Commonwealth (Remodeling)|