Thomas Marriott James was born on May 18,1875, in Cambridge, the son of Joseph K. James and his wife, Elizabeth Troy.
He married on June 9, 1897, in Everett, to Ruth Lyra Dodge (b. 12May1878 in Acworth NH; d. 1944 in Cohasset), daughter of Clarence M. Dodge and his wife, Caroline F. Hubbard.
Thomas James died on July 8, 1942, in Scituate, a resident of Cohasset.
Thomas M. James began practice as an architect in 1898. He specialized in banks and office buildings, but also designed theaters, apartment houses, and single family dwellings. In 1920, he incorporated his firm as the Thomas M. James Company.
Among his earlier works in the Boston area were the Oren Sanborn House in Winchester (1906-1907), with Clinton M. Hill; the Shubert Theatre (1910); the Eliot Five Cents Savings Bank in Roxbury (1916); and the Warren Institution for Savings Building in Boston (1920).
Arthur M. James Company’s work in the Boston area included the State Street Trust Building at 75 Federal Street (1929); the East Cambridge Savings Bank (1931); and the Arlington Co-operative Bank (1935).
Back Bay Work
|1927||412 Beacon (Remodeling) [Thomas M. James Company]|