168 Marlborough was built in 1874-1875 for dry goods merchant Eben Dyer Jordan, co-founder of Jordan, Marsh & Co., one of six contiguous houses (166-168-170-172-174-176 Marlborough) built for him between 1874-1875 (166-168-170-172 Marlborough) and 1876-1877 (174-176 Marlborough), designed as three symmetrical pairs of houses. Eben D. Jordan and his wife, Julia M. (Clark) Jordan, lived at 46 Beacon.
The six houses were built on two parcels of land, with a combined frontage of 150 feet, originally sold by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts at its public sale on April 10, 1869. The successful bidder at the auction was building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., who subsequently sold or transferred his right to purchase the land, probably under an agreement with Eben D. Jordan under which he oversaw construction of the houses. Eben Jordan took title to the land from the Commonwealth after the houses were built: a 100 foot wide parcel running west from Dartmouth on October 19, 1875, and a 50 foot wide parcel to the west of the first parcel on February 21, 1877.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 168 Marlborough.
On November 19, 1875, 168 Marlborough was purchased from Eben D. Jordan by Theodore Chase. He and his wife, Alice Bowdoin (Bradlee) Chase, made it their home. In the early 1870s, they had lived at 27 Beacon with his mother, Clarissa Andrews (Bigelow) Chase, the widow of Theodore Chase.
Theodore Chase was a “gentleman of leisure” and had no occupation or profession.
He died in March of 1894.
Alice Chase continued to live at 168 Marlborough until her death in September of 1925. She also maintained a home in Marblehead.
On June 16, 1926, 168 Marlborough was purchased from Alice Chase’s estate by attorney Charles Sedgwick Rackemann. He and his wife, Fanny S. (Pomeroy) Rackemann, made it their home. They previously had lived at 172 Marlborough. They also maintained a home in Milton.
Fanny Rackemann died in February of 1927; Charles Rackemann continued to live at 168 Marlborough until his death in March of 1933.
On June 28, 1934, 168 Marlborough was purchased from Charles Rackemann’s estate by Dr. Hanns Sachs. He previously had lived at 308 Marlborough.
Hanns Sachs was a noted psychoanalyst and professor of psychoanalysis at Harvard Medical School. An early student and a friend of Sigmund Freud’s, he had emigrated from Germany in September of 1933. He was divorced from Emilie (Emmy/Emily) (Pisko) Sachs, who emigrated in 1939 and lived in Berkeley, California.
He continued to live at 168 Marlborough until his death in January of 1947. At the time of his death, his sister — Mrs. Olga Barsis — was living with him at 168 Marlborough.
On June 4, 1947, 168 Marlborough was purchased form Hanns Sachs’s estate by Helen (Thomas) Warren, the widow of paper manufacturer, Samuel Dennis Warren, III. She lived in an apartment at 166 Marlborough.
On September 23, 1947, 168 Marlborough was purchased by Mrs. Marian (Blinn) McCown, the former wife of Allison Eyster McCown, Jr., and her mother, Etta (Gallison) Blinn, the former wife of Charles Payson Blinn, Jr.
By 1949, and possibly before the time Mrs. McCown and Mrs. Blinn purchased it, it had been remodeled into three units.
Etta Blinn died in July of 1959, and 168 Marlborough became entirely the property of Marian McCown. In March of 1961, she married James Ramsey Ullman, a noted adventurer, novelist, and theatrical producer, probably best known for chronicling the 1963 American expedition to Mt. Everest. He died in June of 1971.
Marian Ullman continued to live at 168 Marlborough until 1996.
On July 18, 1996, 168 Marlborough was purchased from Marian Ullman by Paul Berg of the 168 Marlborough LLC. On December 4, 1997, he converted the property into three condominium units, the Ullman House Condominium.