300 Marlborough was built in 1878 by Goldthwait & Chapin, builders, for merchant and building contractor Samuel Tarbell Ames, for speculative sale, one of two contiguous houses (298-300 Marlborough). Samuel Ames is shown as the owner on the original building permit application for the two houses, dated September 16, 1878; no architect is indicated.
By 1880, 300 Marlborough was the home of jewelry dealer John Anthony Remick and his wife, Lucretia Smith (Pillsbury) Remick. They previously had lived at 30 Millmont. He is shown as the owner of 300 Marlborough on the 1883, 1888, 1898,1908, 1917, and 1928 Bromley maps.
Their three children — Eliot Wickham Remick, Ethel Bass Remick, and John Anthony Remick, Jr. — lived with them.
Ethel Remick married in April of 1899 to Herbert Emery Yerxa, a wholesale grocer, and moved to 1459 Beacon. By 1904, they had moved to 300 Marlborough to live with John and Lucretia Remick.
Eliot Wickham Remick, a bond salesman, married in June of 1906 to Christine Louise Bumpus and moved to Hyde Park. John Anthony Remick, Jr., briefly a landscape architect and then a banker and investment counselor, married in October of 1914 to Alice Hemingway and moved to the town of Marlborough.
John Remick died in March of 1924. Lucretia Remick and Herbert and Ethel Yerxa continued to live at 300 Marlborough. The Heirs of John A. Remick are shown as the owners on the 1938 Bromley map.
Herbert Yerxa died in November of 1941. Ethel Yerxa continued to live with her mother at 330 Marlborough.
By 1943, John A. Remick, Jr., had resumed living with his mother and widowed sister. He previously had lived in Weston. He was a widower, Alice (Hemenway) Remick having died in May of 1930.
Lucretia Remick died in February of 1943.
John Remick and Ethel Yerxa continued to live at 300 Marlborough until about 1959. By 1960, John Remick had moved to an apartment at 299 Marlborough, and Ethel Yerxa had moved to an apartment at 4 Gloucester.
By 1960, 300 Marlborough was owned by Hastings & Gautreau. In October of 1960, they filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into nine apartments.
The property changed hands and in July of 1984 was purchased by Matthias B. Donelan, trustee of the Walden Realty Trust. In December of 1985, he converted the property into nine condominium units, the 300 Marlborough Street Condominium.
Matthias Donelan retained ownership of all nine condominium units until October of 1993, when they were purchased by Roy E. Mabrey, Jr., trustee of the Hat Trick Realty Trust.
The units changed hands and. as of 2017, all nine continued to be owned by the same owner.