335 Beacon was designed by architect Samuel D. Kelley and built in 1881-1882 by Frank Jones, mason, for building contractor Samuel Tarbell Ames for speculative sale, one of three contiguous houses (333-335-337 Beacon) of the same design with three story (plus basement) front bays on the eastern side. Samuel Ames is shown as the owner on the original building permit application for the three houses dated October 15, 1881. At about the same time, Samuel T. Ames had two additional houses built to the west, at 339-341 Beacon, also designed by Samuel D. Kelley in a similar style but with front bays extending one less story.
333-335-337 Beacon were built on land purchased in several transactions by Samuel T. Ames’s son, Harvard law professor James Barr Ames. On October 27, 1881, James B. Ames purchased a six inch strip of land from Carrie E. (Ellis) Evans, the widow of Franklin Evans, who had purchased it from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on April 27, 1880. The land included the western half of the party wall with 331 Beacon, and acquiring it permitted Samuel Ames to begin construction of 333 Beacon. James B. Ames held or acquired the right to purchase the remainder of the land for the three houses from the Commonwealth, but did not complete the transactions until after the houses were constructed, taking title to a 24.5 foot wide lot for 333 Beacon March 7, 1882, and a 49.8 foot lot for 335-337 Beacon on September 21, 1882.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 335 Beacon.
On September 30, 1882, 335 Beacon was purchased from James Barr Ames by Mary (Parker) Dalton, the wife of Henry L. Dalton, a plumbing supply merchant. They previously had lived at 13 Upton. Their daughters, Frances Elizabeth Dalton and Mary Sophia Dalton, lived with them.
Henry Dalton died in August of 1884. On April 29, 1886, Mary Dalton transferred 333 Beacon to her two daughters, who continued to live there with her.
Mary Dalton died in August of 1900. Frances and Mary Dalton continued to live at 335 Beacon.
On October 30, 1942, 335 Beacon was purchased from Frances Dalton’s estate by August Ochsner. He and his wife, Emma (Hermance) (Morlot) Oschsner, lived at 286 Marlborough. In November of 1942, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 335 Beacon from a single-family dwelling into a lodging house.
335 Beacon was shown as vacant in the 1943 City Directory.
By 1944, it was the home of the Ochsners’ daughter, Bertha, who operated it as a lodging house. She continued to live there until about 1946.
On May 11, 1946, 335 Beacon was acquired from August Ochsner by George P. Latsey.
On December 8, 1947, 335 Beacon was acquired from George Latsey by Minas Loukas, a grocer, and his wife, Agnes M. (Pappallilo/Papalilo) Loukas. They lived in Jamaica Plain. In October of 1949, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a lodging house into nine apartments.
The property changed hands and on February 14, 1952, was acquired by attorney Israel Bernstein, trustee of the Bernstein Family Trust. He and his wife, Gertrude (David) Bernstein, lived in Brookline.
On October 1, 1985, 335 Beacon was acquired from Israel Bernstein by Joseph F. Perroncello. In May of 1986, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the property, including adding a fifth story.
On July 29, 1986, Joseph Perroncello converted the property into nine condominium units, the 335 Beacon Street Condominium.