343 Marlborough was built ca. 1872 for builder and contractor George Martin Gibson, for speculative sale, one of eleven contiguous houses (337-339-341-343-345-347-349-351-353-355-357 Marlborough).
George Gibson purchased the land for 337-357 Marlborough on September 10, 1871, from George Williams Pratt, an investment banker and stockbroker and one of the founders of the Boston Stock Exchange. He and his wife, Mary Barrow (White) Pratt, lived at 13 Louisburg Square. They also maintained a home, Oakley, on Belmont Avenue in Watertown (it became the Oakley Country Club in 1898). The land originally was part of a larger parcel purchased from the Boston Water Power Company on February 20, 1863, by George Pratt’s son, Robert Marion Pratt, also a banker and broker.
As originally designed, the eleven houses were organized in a symmetrical block comprising all of the houses facing Marlborough between Gloucester and Hereford. All but 347 Marlborough, in the center, were identical, with the same façades and fenestration, with the three houses at the east (337-339-341 Marlborough) with bays on the east side, and the three houses on the west (353-355-357 Marlborough) with bays on the west side. 343-345 Marlborough and 349-351 Marlborough are symmetrical pairs. 347 Marlborough, in the center, has unique third floor fenestration and window lintels.
George Gibson also had built four houses at 14-16-18-20 Hereford, at the northeast corner of Hereford and Marlborough, which he had completed and sold to individual buyers between October of 1871 and January of 1872.
On January 1, 1872, George Gibson sold the land “on which I am now building eleven dwelling houses” to Hiram A. Gerrish, a building contractor and real estate dealer, who sold the houses, once they were completed, to individual buyers.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 343 Marlborough.
On March 26, 1873, 343 Marlborough was purchased from Hiram Gerrish by Cornelius Prentiss Hatch, a dealer in gentlemen’s furnishings. He and his wife, Prudence A. (Fish) Hatch, made it their home. They previously had lived at 8 Otis. They continued to live at 343 Marlborough during the 1878-1879 winter season, but moved thereafter to Maple Avenue near Franklin Park.
On May 12, 1879. 343 Marlborough was purchased from Cornelius Hatch by Charles Woodward Wilder. He and his wife, Ann Augusta (Plummer) Wilder, lived at 1 Worcester Square.
By the 1879-1880 winter season, 343 Marlborough was the home the Wilders‘ son-in-law and daughter, Edgar Waterman Anthony and Clara Dickenson (Wilder) Anthony. They had married in March of 1878. They previously had lived in New York City, and had moved to Boston in 1879. He was a stove and furnace manufacturer
They continued to live at 343 Marlborough during the 1882-1883 winter season, but had moved by 1884 and by 1885 were living in the Longwood area of Brookline.
On October 1, 1883, 343 Marlborough was acquired from Charles Wilder by Martha (Tilton) Williams, the widow of George F. Williams. Her son, Armstrong T. Williams, lived with her. They previously had lived at 18 Worcester Square.
They continued to live at 343 Marlborough during the 1884-1885 winter season, but moved thereafter to 260 Newbury.
On June 24, 1885, 343 Marlborough was acquired from Martha Williams by Annie Flagg (Wales) Stratton, the wife of Solomon Piper Stratton. He was a dealer in crockery and glassware. They had lived at 341 Marlborough in 1884 (the home of Annie Stratton’s sister, Susan Wales).
The Strattons continued to live at 343 Marlborough during the 1896-1897 season, but moved thereafter to 351 Beacon.
343 Marlborough was not listed in the 1898 and 1899 Blue Books.
On July 2, 1899, 343 Marlborough was purchased from Annie Stratton by Elisabeth F. (Birdseye) Merritt, the wife of banker Edward Percival Merritt. They previously had lived in an apartment at 199 Marlborough.
Edward Merritt died in April of 1932. Elisabeth Merritt continued to live at 343 Marlborough until her death in February of 1942.
343 Marlborough was shown as vacant in the 1943 and 1944 City Directories.
On October 22, 1943, 343 Marlborough was acquired from Elisabeth Merritt’s estate by Israel Ramler. He was president of the State Electric and Lock Shop, and lived in Roxbury.
By 1945, 343 Marlborough had been converted into five apartments.
Israel Ramler died in July of 1948 and 343 Marlborough was inherited by his mother, Fanny (Kramer) Ramler, the widow of Abraham Ramler. She died in September of 1951, a resident of Allston. In her will, she left 343 Marlborough in trust for the benefit of her grandchildren — Rachael Burke, Ann Sheila Burke, and Toby Sandra Burke — children of Harry Burke and Rachel (Ramler) Burke.
On July 15, 1958, 343 Marlborough was acquired from the trust established under Fannie Ramler’s will by Rose Rochelle.
Rose Rochelle (Goldberg) Levin Glazer was the former wife of Reuben Levin and Max L. Glazer. She was a retired pianist and entertainer who performed as (and legally changed her name to) Rose Rochelle. She married in the early 1960s to Morris Bornstein, after which she was known as Rose Bornstein. He died or they separated by 1965. She owned and lived in an apartment house at 273 Beacon, and also owned several other apartment buildings and lodging houses in the Back Bay and South End.
On November 4, 1960, she transferred 343 Marlborough to herself as trustee of the Rose Rochelle Realty Trust.
On June 26, 1963, 343 Marlborough was purchased by Dr. Lloyd Harold Warshauer, a dentist, and his wife, Esther E. (Hamm) Warshauer. They also owned 341 Marlborough, where he maintained his office. They lived in Waban.
In February of 1969, Dr. Warshauer applied for (and subsequently received) permission to cut a door in the party wall between 341 and 343 Marlborough, and to change the occupancy from five apartments to four apartments and a dental office. Although the permit was approved, based on the City Directories, 343 Marlborough appears to have remained a five unit apartment building, with no medical offices.
On June 13, 1985, Lloyd and Esther Warshauer transferred 341 Marlborough and 343 Marlborough to their son, Mark Edward Warshauer, as trustee of the Warshauer Family Realty Trust.
On September 16, 2013, 341 Marlborough and 343 Marlborough were purchased from the Warshauer Family Realty Trust by the 341-343 Marlborough Street LLC (Michael Earls, Kathryn Gledhill-Earls, and Patrick McKenna, managers of record). That same month, it filed for (and subsequently received) permission to combine 341 and 343 Marlborough into one property and convert the combined property into five units, including restoring the front façades and expanding the existing partial fourth floors into a full story on both buildings. The remodeling was designed by Silverman Trykowski Associates.
On December 8, 2014, the 341-343 Marlborough Street LLC converted the property into five condominium units: the 341-343 Marlborough Street Condominium.
Below are architectural renderings of the front façade of 341-343 Marlborough submitted to the Back Bay Architectural Commission in 2013, showing (on the left) the façade as it existed in 2013 and (on the right) the proposed new façade (subsequently approved by the Commission and constructed); courtesy of Silverman Trykowski Associates.