350 Marlborough was built in 1878-1879 for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., one of eight contiguous houses (348-350-352-354-356-358-360-362 Marlborough) built in 1878-1880 for him.
The land on which 348-362 Marlborough were built was acquired by George Wheatland, Jr., on May 10, 1872, from a real estate investment trust formed by Grenville Temple Winthrop Braman, Henry Dwight Hyde, and Frank William Andrews. It was part of one of several parcels they had purchased on March 1, 1872, from the Boston Water Power Company, of which Grenville Braman was treasurer.
On May 25, 1872, George Wheatland entered into a trust agreement with William Dudley Pickman and William Pickering Fay under which he agreed to hold two undivided one-third interests in the property in their names and they agreed to assume the obligation for one third (each) of the mortgages on the property. On April 18, 1876, George Wheatland, Jr., sold the remaining one-third interest in the property to his father, George Wheatland, Sr., of Salem.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 350 Marlborough.
George Wheatland, Jr., subdivided the property into eight lots, seven with 23 foot frontages and the eighth, at the corner of Hereford, with a 24 foot frontage. He then built houses on the lots at 348-362 Marlborough, each of the same design, with the entrance on the left and a bay on the right.
The houses probably were designed by architect Obed F. Smith. No architect is indicated on the permit applications. However, the final building inspection report for 354-356 Marlborough indicates that the architect was “F. O. Smith.” There was no architect named Smith with those initials listed in the 1878-1880 Boston Directories and it appears likely it was meant to be O. F. Smith. Obed F. Smith designed a number of houses for George Wheatland, Jr., at this time, including six houses (381-391 Marlborough) of very similar design.
348-362 Marlborough all were started in 1878 or 1879 and appear to have been completed within a year. From the deeds and original permit applications, it appears that 348-350-352 Marlborough were built first, then 354-356 Marlborough, and then 358-360-362 Marlborough. The lots were transferred to one of the three owners of the land as the houses were constructed; each house was then sold after it was completed.
The original permit application for 348-350-352 Marlborough (one application for the three houses) was submitted on December 3, 1878, by George Wheatland, Jr., William D. Pickman, and Richard Sullivan Fay (William P. Fay’s brother). The owners then divided the lots among themselves. On December 17, 1878, 348 Marlborough was transferred to William D. Pickman and 350 Marlborough was transferred to Richard Sullivan Fay. William P. Fay died in March of 1879, and the transfer of the third lot was delayed until October 3, 1879, after the house was completed, when it was transferred to George Wheatland, Sr.
On July 24, 1879, 350 Marlborough was purchased from Richard S. Fay by Dr. Edward Reynolds, a retired physician. He was a widower and an invalid; his two unmarried daughters, Anna Foster Reynolds and Margaret Wendell Reynolds, lived with him. They previously had lived at 97 Boylston.
Edward Reynolds died in December of 1881. The Reynolds family continued to own 350 Marlborough and lease it to others.
By the 1882-1883 winter season, 350 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Stillman (Lincoln) Rogers, the widow of Henry Darwin Rogers.
Henry Darwin Rogers was a noted geologist who conducted geologic surveys of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. He was a professor first at Philadelphia University and then at Glasgow University. He died in Glasgow in 1866.
350 Marlborough was not listed in the 1886 Blue Book.
By the 1886-1887 winter season, 350 Marlborough was the home of Frank Staples Sherburne and his wife, Annie Cora (Seavey) Sherburne. In 1885, they had lived at the Hotel Huntington (Huntington at Blagden).
Frank Sherburne was an importer and dealer in window and plate glass.
By the 1888-1889 season, they had purchased and moved to 363 Marlborough.
On January 9, 1888, one of Edward Reynolds’s daughters, Adeline Ellen (Reynolds) Parker, the wife of Harleston Parker, sold half of her interest in 350 Marlborough to her sisters, Anna Foster Reynolds and Margaret Wendell Reynolds. She sold the other half to them on March 9, 1888.
350 Marlborough was not listed in the 1889 Blue Book.
By the 1889-1890 winter season, 350 Marlborough was the home of Lucretia Watson (Lunt) Revere, the widow of Paul Joseph Revere (a Brigadier General in the Civil War, killed at Gettysburg). She previously had lived at 36 Fairfield. She continued to live at 350 Marlborough until her death in September of 1904.
On May 20, 1905, 350 Marlborough was purchased from the Reynolds family by Eliza Robinson (Swift) Chute, the wife of Dr. Arthur Lambert Chute. They previously had lived at 103 Mt. Vernon.
Arthur Chute was a urologist and later also would become a professor at Tufts College School of Medicine.
In February of 1919, they purchased the neighboring house at 352 Marlborough, which he used for offices.
By 1928, an additional story had been added to 350 Marlborough. It appears as a three story house on the 1917 Bromley map and as a four story house on the 1928 map.
The Chutes continued to live at 350 Marlborough, and also maintained a home in Falmouth. Living with them were their three adult children: Richard Chute, a urologist, who maintained his practice at 352 Marlborough with his father, Mary Chute, an architect, and Oliver Swift Chute. Mary Chute married in March of 1932 to Samuel McMurtrie and moved to New York City. Oliver Chute married in April of 1933 to Edith Bullock and moved to Whitinsville.
Arthur Chute died in January of 1934. Richard Chute married in June of 1934 to Ruth Sears, an archeologist. After their marriage, they lived at 350 Marlborough and Eliza Chute moved to 352 Marlborough, where Richard Chute continued to maintain his medical office.
On September 7, 1940, 350 Marlborough was purchased from Eliza Chute by Jacob Leroy Garber, a postal clerk and realtor. He and his wife, Edith (Edythe) Ila (Chasens) Garber, made it their home. They previously had lived at 13 Haviland. They also owned 195 Beacon, which they had converted into a lodging house in 1939.
In October of 1940, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 350 Marlborough from a single-family dwelling into a lodging house.
In 1941, the Garbers purchased 144 Marlborough, where they also operated a lodging house. They also continued to own 195 Beacon. They continued to live at 350 Marlborough in 1946, but had moved to Brookline by 1947.
On February 29, 1952, J. Leroy Garber transferred 350 Marlborough to himself as trustee of the Byron Hall Trust. He continued to own it until 1960.
350 Marlborough subsequently changed hands, remaining a lodging house.
On July 6, 1979, Charles F. Norton, Jr., and Peter Turchon, III, trustees of The Greenwood Trust, purchased 350 Marlborough. That same month, The Greenwood Trust applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a lodging house into five apartments.
On January 3, 1980, The Greenwood Trust converted the apartments into five condominium units, the 350 Marlborough Street Condominium.