384 Marlborough was designed by Shaw and Shaw, architects, and built in 1881 by David Perkins and H. McLaughlin, builders, as the home of William Lewis Philbrick Boardman and his wife, Mary Goddard (May) Boardman. Mary Boardman is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated November 2, 1881, and on the 1883 Bromley map.
William Boardman was Head Master of Lewis School. In 1880, they had lived in Milton.
The Boardmans continued to live at 384 Marlborough during the 1886-1887 winter season, but moved thereafter to 9 Burroughs Place.
By the 1887-1888 winter season, 384 Marlborough was the home of the Rogers sisters: Ellen Derby Rogers, Laura Derby Rogers, Elizabeth Bromfield Rogers, and Frances Stetson Rogers. They previously had lived at 85 Cedar in Roxbury with their widowed father, John Rogers; he died in June of 1884. Ellen D. Rogers is shown as the owner of 384 Marlborough on the 1888 and 1890 Bromley maps.
Living with them were their brother-in-law and sister, John Graeme Purdon and Clara Pomeroy (Rogers) Purdon. He was a shipping merchant in the China trade and it appears that, for much of the time, he was in Shanghai and his wife lived at 384 Marlborough with her unmarried sisters. She continued to be listed there in the 1893 Blue Book. By 1894, the Purdons had moved to 3 Fairfield, and by 1897 he had retired and purchased 356 Marlborough.
Ellen Rogers died in February of 1894, and Laura, Frances and Elizabeth Rogers continued to live at 384 Marlborough. Ellen D. Rogers’ heirs are shown as the owners on the 1895 Bromley map, and Laura D. Rogers et al are shown as the owners on the 1898 and 1908 maps, and were the assessed owners through 1909.
Laura Rogers died in 1907. Frances and Elizabeth Rogers (who were twins) continued to live at 384 Marlborough. The heirs of Laura D. Rogers et al were the assessed owners in 1910 and 1911, and Frances S. Rogers et al were the assessed owners from 1912 through 1923; the heirs of Laura Rogers et al are shown as the owners on the 1912 and 1917 Bromley maps.
During the 1908-1909 winter season, they were living elsewhere and 384 Marlborough as the home of merchant William Simes and his wife, Fannie Swett (Newell) Simes, and their daughters, Olive and Frances. Frances Simes was married in September of 1909 to Russell Platt Hastings, and by 1910, William and Fannie Simes, and their daughter Olivia, had moved to 46 Chestnut.
By the 1909-1910 winter season, Elizabeth and Frances Rogers were living at 384 Marlborough once again. They continued to live there during the 1922-1923 winter season, but moved thereafter. Frances Rogers died in November of 1923 and Elizabeth Rogers died in January of 1924.
By 1923, 384 Marlborough was the home of real estate dealer and developer Albert Orton Hagar and his wife, Elsie M. (Hamilton) Hagar. They previously had lived in an apartment at 362 Commonwealth. They also maintained a home in Norwell.
Charlotte I. Halpin was the assessed owner of 384 Marlborough in 1924.
The house was not listed in the 1924 and 1925 Blue Books.
In early 1925, 384 Marlborough was acquired by real estate dealer John S. Cronin. The purchase was reported in the Boston Globe on February 3, 1925 In late 1926, he acquired 386 Marlborough. He was the assessed owner of 384 Marlborough from 1925 through 1929, and of 386 Marlborough from 1927 through 1929, and is shown as the owner of both houses on the 1928 Bromley map.
By the 1925-1926 winter season, 384 Marlborough was the home of George Frederick Jones, a jeweler, and his wife, Cecelia (Celia) E. (Smith) Jones, who operated it as a lodging house. They previously had lived at 304 Newbury, where they also operated a lodging house.
It appears that Albert and Elsie Hagar continued to maintain 384 Marlborough as their Boston residence as lodgers with the Joneses. Albert Hagar was killed in an automobile accident in Baltimore in May of 1927, and his May 12, 1927, Boston Globe obituary indicates that “he made his Winter home at 384 Marlboro st., and in the Summer resided in Norwell.”
From 1930 through 1936, Mary F. Kett was the assessed owner of 384 Marlborough. She was a bookkeeper at 51 Gloucester, the same address as John S. Cronin’s real estate office, and it appears likely that he had transferred the property into her name. She lived at 23 Aberdeen.
The Joneses continued to live at 384 Marlborough until about 1931, when they moved to 32 Boulevard Terrace in Brighton.
By 1932, 384 Marlborough was the home of Irving (Ervin) Lincoln Beaman, an auto mechanic, and his wife, Ida Pearl (Westerman) Rowe Beaman, who continued to operate it as a lodging house. They previously had lived at 317 Marlborough. They continued to live at 384 Marlborough in 1933, but moved thereafter to 295 Newbury.
By 1934, 384 Marlborough was the home of Mrs. Emily (Woods) Taylor, the former wife of Clayton Taylor, who operated it as a lodging house. She previously had lived at 265 Newbury. By 1935, she had moved to 84 Huntington.
By 1935, 384 Marlborough was the Alpha Kappa Pi fraternity house.
The property was shown as vacant in the 1936 City Directory.
By 1937, 384 Marlborough was the home of Philip Elbridge Morrow, a mechanic, and his wife, Lillian C. (White) Pettit Morrow, who operated it as a lodging house. They previously had lived in Cambridge. Philip Morrow et al were the assessed owners of 384 Marlborough in 1937.
John Joseph (Pettit) Morrow, Lillian Morrow’s son by her previous marriage to Martin Pettit, lived with them. He had taken the surname Morrow. He was the assessed owner (as John J. Pettit) from 1938 through 1940, and is shown as the owner on the 1938 Bromley map.
By 1940, Philip and Lillian Morrow had divorced and he had moved to Cambridge. Lillian Morrow continued to live at 384 Marlborough and operate it as a lodging house. Her son, who had resumed using the surname Pettit, married to Frances Maria Leyden. After their marriage, they lived at 384 Marlborough with his mother. He was a realtor. Lillian Morrow was the assessed owner from 1941 through 1946, and Lillian Morrow et al were the assessed owners from 1947.
Lillian Morrow died in November of 1976. John Pettit continued to live at 384 Marlborough.
In May of 1982, 384 Marlborough was purchased from John Pettit by Anthony M. Rando.
One month later, in June of 1982, 384 Marlborough was purchased from Anthony Rando by Gene Pokorny and his wife, Margaret Pokorny. They converted it back into a single-family dwelling.
In October of 2007, the Pokornys entered into a “Preservation Restriction Agreement” with the National Architectural Trust for the purpose of ensuring the preservation of 384 Marlborough’s exterior.
384 Marlborough remaineda single-family dwelling in 2015.