Architectural Plans: 400 Beacon – Remodeling (1910)

Architectural rendering of new front entrance to 400 Beacon (1910), by Bigelow and Wadsworth; courtesy of the Boston Public Library Arts Department

400 Beacon – new front entrance (1910)

In 1910, architects Bigelow and Wadsworth prepared plans for remodeling 400 Beacon after it was acquired by Miss Rose Linzee Dexter.

The remodeling included lowering the front entrance to street level, adding a fourth story for servants quarters, and modifying the rooms on the other floors.

These scans of the plans are provided courtesy of the Boston Public Library Arts Department. The originals of the blueprints are located in the Arts Department’s City of Boston Blueprints Collection (reference BIN A-5) and include additional drawings showing Gloucester Street, front, and rear elevations of the new story.

Basement floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon – Basement floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon, first floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon – first floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon, second floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon – second floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon, third floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon – third floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon, fourth floor plan (1910)

400 Beacon – fourth floor plan (1910)