By 1869, and possibly before, a carriage building factory was located on the north side of Beacon across from Parker Street, occupying the lower stories of what previously had been the Mill Dam Hotel.
In 1869, the factory was operated by Joseph F. Pray. His works previously had been located at 9 Lime and in February of 1869 he advertised it for lease in the Boston Herald, with the contact address being “Pray’s Carriage Manufactory, Old Mill Dam Hotel, Beacon street.” He lived at 133 Harrison.
In late 1872, Joseph F. Pray acquired the carriage building firm of Thomas Goddard, who lived at 157 Beacon. He had retired after his factory had been destroyed in the Great Boston Fire in November of 1872. In 1873, J. F. Pray built a new factory at the corner of East Concord and James Streets.
By March of 1874, the factory on Beacon was leased by Hewitt, McCabe & Co. Both James Hewitt and Bernard McCabe previously were workmen with J. F. Pray’s firm. They listed their residences in the City Directories as “Beacon, opposite Parker,” presumably in the apartments on the upper floors of the former hotel, above the factory.
That same year, George T. Wade joined the firm and subsequently succeeded Bernard McCabe. In October of 1874, the name was changed to Hewitt and Wade. George Wade also listed his address as “Beacon opposite Parker” in the City Directories.
The firm continued to operate as Hewitt & Wade until July of 1875, when they dissolved their partnership. George Wade continued to operate the factory on Beacon under his own name and to live on Beacon at Parker until about 1879.
In about 1880, the factory was leased by the carriage making firm of Emond & Quinsler, with the address of 456 Beacon. Joseph P. Emond lived in Dorchester and George J. Quinsler lived at 190 West Springfield. They also maintained a manufactory on Williams Street at the corner of Washington. In June of 1881, they advertised in the Boston Daily Advertiser that their stock at the Beacon Street location must be sold, “as the buildings are to be removed.”
The building was razed in 1882 so that the Boston and Roxbury Mill Company could sell the land for house building lots.