The firm of Lewis and Paine was formed in about 1891 by G. Wilton Lewis and Walter J. Paine. Walter Paine had joined Lewis’s office as an architect in about 1890, but it appears that they were in formal partnership, as Lewis and Paine, only between about 1891 and 1893. Thereafter, they no longer did business as a partnership, but continued to share offices until about 1898, when Paine opened his own office.
In addition to residential and commercial work, Lewis and Paine designed several ecclesiastical buildings, including the Baptist Church and parsonage at 629 Centre Street in Jamaica Plain (1892) and the Hancock Congregational Church in Lexington (1893).
Back Bay Work