358 Marlborough was built in 1879-1880 by Vinal & Dodge, masons, for building contractor George Wheatland, Jr., one of eight contiguous houses (348-350-352-354-356-358-360-362 Marlborough) built in 1878-1880 for him.
The land on which 348-362 Marlborough were built was acquired by George Wheatland, Jr., on May 10, 1872, from a real estate investment trust formed by Grenville Temple Winthrop Braman, Henry Dwight Hyde, and Frank William Andrews. It was part of one of several parcels they had purchased on March 1, 1872, from the Boston Water Power Company, of which Grenville Braman was the former treasurer.
On May 25, 1872, George Wheatland entered into a trust agreement with William Dudley Pickman and William Pickering Fay under which he agreed to hold two undivided one-third interests in the property in their names and they agreed to assume the obligation for one third (each) of the mortgages on the property. On April 18, 1876, George Wheatland, Jr., sold the remaining one-third interest in the property to his father, George Wheatland, Sr., of Salem.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 358 Marlborough, and click here for further information about the land between the south side of Marlborough and Alley 428, from Gloucester to Hereford.
George Wheatland, Jr., subdivided the property into eight lots, seven with 23 foot frontages and the eighth, at the corner of Hereford, with a 24 foot frontage. He then built houses on the lots at 348-362 Marlborough, each of the same design, with the entrance on the left and a bay on the right.
The houses probably were designed by architect Obed F. Smith. No architect is indicated on the permit applications. However, the final building inspection report for 354-356 Marlborough indicates that the architect was “F. O. Smith.” There was no architect named Smith with those initials listed in the 1878-1880 Boston Directories and it appears likely it was meant to be O. F. Smith. Obed F. Smith designed a number of houses for George Wheatland, Jr., at this time, including six houses (381-391 Marlborough) of very similar design.
348-362 Marlborough all were started in 1878 or 1879 and appear to have been completed within a year. From the deeds and original permit applications, it appears that 348-350-352 Marlborough were built first, then 354-356 Marlborough, and then 358-360-362 Marlborough. The lots were transferred to one of the three owners of the land as the houses were constructed; each house was then sold after it was completed.
The original permit application for 358-360 Marlborough (one application for both houses) was submitted on September 22, 1879, by George Wheatland, Jr. 362 Marlborough probably was constructed at the same time (the original permit application is not included in the Building Department’s files). On May 1, 1880, when the houses were nearing completion, William D. Pickman and the estate of William P. Fay (who had died in March of 1879) transferred their two-thirds interest in 358-360-362 Marlborough to George Wheatland, Sr.
On May 31, 1880, 358 Marlborough was purchased from George Wheatland, Sr., by Jacob Wendell of New York City. The next day, on June 1, 1880, he transferred the property to his son, Barrett Wendell, who was married that day to Edith Greenough.
Barrett Wendell was an assistant professor and, from 1898, full professor of English at Harvard. He was a noted lecturer and author of several books, including a biography of Cotton Mather.
Barrett and Edith Wendell raised their four children at 386 Marlborough: Barrett Wendell, Jr., Mary Barrett Wendell, William Greenough Wendell, and Edith Wendell.
The Wendells also maintained a home, Frostfields, in New Castle, New Hampshire, built by his father, Jacob Wendell, in 1882. By the mid-1890s, they also maintained a home in Mattapoisett.
In the late 1890s or early 1900s, the Wendells remodeled 358 Marlborough to add an additional story. It is shown as a three story house on the 1898 Bromley map, but as a four story house on the 1902 map.
Mary Wendell married in September of 1902 to Geoffrey Manlius Wheelock. Prior to their marriage, he had lived at 283 Commonwealth with his parents, Thomas Reed Wheelock and Edith Haswell (Clarke) Wheelock. He had graduated from Harvard in 1901 and was associated with William A. Russell & Brother, paper manufacturers.
After their marriage, Geoffrey and Mary Wheelock lived at 358 Marlborough while her parents and siblings were in England, where Professor Wendell was spending his sabbatical year at Trinity College in Cambridge.
The Wendells returned in October of 1903. The Wheelocks continued to live with them during the 1903-1904 winter season. They then moved briefly to 283 Commonwealth to live with his parents and then to Shanghai, China, where Geoffrey Wheelock became a partner in his father’s ship brokerage firm.
During the 1904-1905 winter season, the Wendells were living elsewhere and 358 Marlborough was the home of Frederick Harris Warner and his wife, Eleanor (Skinner) Warner. They previously had lived at 28 Bellevue in Dorchester. Their son and daughter, Frederick Harris Warner, Jr., and Florence Warner, lived with them. In April of 1905, Florence Warner married Kirkland Hopkins Gibson of 212 Commonwealth, a piano manufacturer in his father’s firm, the Ivers & Pond Piano Company. After their marriage, they lived in Brookline.
By the 1905-1906 winter season, the Warners had moved to 92 Bay State Road and the Wendells were living at 358 Marlborough again.
William Greenough Wendell graduated from Harvard in 1909 and moved to Albany, New York, where he worked in banking.
Barrett Wendell Jr., married in June of 1910 to Barbara Higginson. He was an investment banker They lived with his parents at 358 Marlborough during the 1910-1911 winter season, but moved soon thereafter to 265 Clarendon.
Edith Wendell married in January of 1913 to Charles Devens Osborne. After their marriage, they lived in Auburn, New York, where he was a newspaper editor.
In mid-1913, William Greenough Wendell moved back to Boston from New York and resumed living with his parents at 358 Marlborough. He was a trust company executive. He married in July of 1915 to Ruth Appleton. After their marriage, they lived at 18 Charles River Square.
Mary (Wendell) Wheelock separated from Thomas Wheelock, secured a divorce in Reno in 1919, and moved back to Boston to live with her parents at 358 Marlborough. Their son, Thomas Gordon Wheelock, came with her and was a student at Groton. In July of 1919, she married again, to Reiner Gerrit Anton Van der Woude, a merchant who later became president of the Shell Union Oil Company. After their marriage, they lived in London.
Barrett Wendell died in February of 1921. Edith Wendell continued to live at 358 Marlborough until her death in October of 1938. She also maintained a home in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
On March 8, 1939, 358 Marlborough was purchased from Edith Wendell’s estate by real estate dealer Henry J. O’Meara.
On March 23, 1939, 358 Marlborough was was purchased from Henry O’Meara by Harold Dewey Murray, a chauffeur, who operated it as a lodging house. He and his wife, Emma (Fitton) Murray, lived at 69 Weston in Roxbury. In December of 1939, they acquired 15 Gloucester, which they also operated as a lodging house. In the 1941 City Directory, Harold Murray was listed at 358 Marlborough and Emma was listed at 15 Gloucester. By 1942, they no longer owned either house and were once again living at 69 Weston in Roxbury.
On November 12, 1941, H. Leon Sharmat foreclosed on a mortgage to Harold and Emma Murray and sold 358 Marlborough to Rebecca Silberman, treasurer of Warren-Stevens, Inc., real estate dealers. On December 22, 1941, she transferred the property to Warren-Stevens, Inc.
In January of 1943, Warren-Stevens, Inc., filed for permission to legalize the property as a lodging house, which was its current use. The permit was denied because of insufficient egress. In April of 1943, it filed a new application providing for additional fire escapes, and the permit subsequently was approved.
On January 8, 1945, 358 Marlborough was acquired from Warren-Stevens, Inc., by Albert A. Scanlan. On July 16, 1945, it eas acquired by Benedict Gerard Groder. He lived at 193 Beacon.
358 Marlborough became the home of Gerald Joseph Bovee, who operated it as a lodging house for B. Gerard Groder. He previously had been a lodger at 193 Beacon
On April 23, 1956, Gerald Bovee acquired 358 Marlborough from B. Gerard Groder. He continued to live there and operate it as a lodging house until the late 1970 and probably until his death in November of 1989.
After Gerald Bovee’s death, 358 Marlborough became the property of Paul Anthony Hunt. He died in December of 1991, and the 358 Marlborough was inherited by William Arthur Punch. He and his wife, Camille M. (Caputo) Punch, made it their home and continued to operate it as a lodging house. On August 15, 2008, he transferred the property into both of their names.
358 Marlborough was assessed as an apartment building in 2021.