334 Marlborough is on the SW corner of Marlborough and Gloucester, with 9 Gloucester to the east, across Gloucester, 336 Marlborough to the west, 8 Gloucester to the north, across Marlborough, and 10 Gloucester to the south.
334 Marlborough was designed by architect John H. Besarick and built in 1872 by carpenter and building contractor Hiram A. Gerrish, one of four contiguous houses (334 Marlborough and 10-12-14 Gloucester), built for speculative sale. Hiram Gerrish is shown as the owner on the original building permit application for all four houses, dated June 4, 1872.
Hiram Gerrish purchased the land for 334 Marlborough and 10-12-14 Gloucester on June 26, 1872, from George Martin Gibson, also a builder and contractor. George M. Gibson had purchased the land on March 1, 1872, from a real estate investment trust formed by Grenville Temple Winthrop Braman, Henry Dwight Hyde, and Frank William Andrews. The land was part of one of four tracts of land the trust had purchased that same day from the Boston Water Power Company.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 334 Marlborough.
On September 7, 1872, when the houses were under construction, Hiram Gerrish sold all four to George M. Gibson’s son, George Alonzo Gibson. He was a builder and contractor in business with his father, and later would become a lawyer and, after that, a piano manufacturer. On January 25, 1873, when the houses were substantially complete, Hiram Gerrish acquired them back.
On April 17, 1873, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Hiram Gerrish by Rosina (Rosine) (Horton) McBurney, the wife of Charles McBurney, president of the Boston Elastic Fabric Company. They lived at 98 Boylston.
On January 15, 1875, Josiah Gooding foreclosed on a mortgage to Hiram Gerrish that the McBurneys had assumed when they acquired 334 Marlborough. He sold the property to John W. Titus, who sold it back to Charles McBurney on September 10, 1875, who sold it four days later to John G. White of Salem.
On October 1, 1875, 334 Marlborough was purchased from John G. White by wholesale leather dealer Austin Bryant French. He and his wife, Sarah J. (Atkins) French, made it their home. In 1875, they had lived in Randolph, Massachusetts.
They continued to live at 334 Marlborough during the 1883-1884 winter season, but moved thereafter to Brighton.
On February 12, 1884, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Austin French by John Elbridge Hudson, a lawyer and later president of the American Bell Telephone Company. He and his wife, Eunice Wells (Healey) Hudson, made it their home. They previously had lived at 91 Boylston.
On June 26, 1890, he transferred 334 Marlborough into his wife’s name.
On June 1, 1916, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Eunice Hudson’s estate by Anna (Mitchell) Richards, the wife of Dr. George Edward Richards. They previously had lived at 11 Gloucester.
He was a physician and also maintained his medical practice at 334 Marlborough.
George Richards died in September of 1919; Anna Richards continued to live at 334 Marlborough until her death in February of 1930.
On July 3, 1930, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Anna Richards’s estate by Miss Louise Mortimer, a Christian Science practitioner. She previously lived at the Hotel Bristol (northwest corner Clarendon and Boylston). She also maintained a home at Briar Cliff Manor in New York.
Miss Mortimer continued to live at 334 Marlborough until her death in 1944.
On December 19, 1944, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Louise Mortimer’s estate by Leon Whidden Stetson. He and his wife, Katharine Martin (Jefferis) Stetson, made it their home. They previously had lived in West Newton. He was advertising manager of The American Weekly.
Leon and Katharine Stetson continued to live at 334 Marlborough until his death in February of 1958.
On July 24, 1958, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Leon Stetson’s estate by Gordon Baxter Hanlon. He and his wife, Marguerite (Poe) Hanlon, made it their home. They previously had lived in an apartment at 199 Marlborough. Their daughter, Lorraine G. Hanlon, lived with them.
Gordon Hanlon was a stockbroker. In the mid-1940s he briefly owned a controlling interest in Suffolk Downs race track, and served as president of the Eastern Racing Association (which owned the track) from February of 1944 to April of 1945, stepping down after the unfavorable results of a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation. Marguerite (Pote) Hanlon was an artist and art historian. Lorraine Hanlon was a national champion figure skater in the early 1960s and later became a physician in the San Francisco Bay Area. She married (and divorced) William S. Comanor.
Gordon Hanlon died in November of 1973. Marguerite Hanlon continued to live at 334 Marlborough until 1976.
On October 22, 1976, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Marguerite Hanlon by Wayne N. Wadhams and John Jobeless. In 1978, John Jobeless moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, and on January 5, 1979, he transferred his interest in the property to Wayne Wadhams.
Wayne Wadhams was a noted musician, record producer, and author. He was the lead singer with the musical group, The Fifth Estate.
On April 10, 1986, 334 Marlborough was purchased from Wayne Wadhams by Thomas S. Marchiel and his wife Constance S. (Fritz) Marchiel. She was a real estate broker.
The property subsequently changed hands, remaining a single-family dwelling in 2017.