343 Beacon was designed and built in 1873-1874 by Frederick B. Pope for speculative sale, one of two contiguous houses (343-345 Beacon). He is shown as the owner on the final inspection reports for both houses, dated May 26, 1874.
The land on which 343-345 Beacon were built was purchased by Frederick Pope on March 5, 1872, from real estate dealer Henry Whitwell. At the same time, he also purchased an equivalent lot from Henry Whitwell across the alley, fronting on Marlborough, where he built 277–279 Marlborough. The land was part of a larger parcel originally purchased from the Boston Water Power Company on February 16, 1863, by Daniel Davies, Jarvis Dwight Braman, and Grenville Temple Winthrop Braman. Grenville Braman was treasurer of the Boston Water Power Company, Jarvis Braman was his brother (and later president of the company), and Daniel Davies, a housewright and master carpenter, was Grenville Braman’s father-in-law.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 343 Beacon, and click here for more information on the land at 343-345-346 Beacon.
After they were completed, 343-345 Beacon remained unsold for several years and were subject to several mortgage, including one from George A. Gibson (which also included 277-279 Marlborough) and several held by James C. Ayer, Frederick Ayer, and Albert G. Cook. Through a series of transactions in the fall of 1875, the various mortgage interests in 343 Beacon were transferred to Frederick Pope’s brother, Eugene Alexander Pope.
On November 2, 1875, 343 Beacon was purchased from Eugene A. Pope by George H. Norman. He and his wife, Abbie (Durfee Kinsley) Norman, made it their Boston home. Their primary residence was Belair in Newport.
George Norman was co-founder of the Newport Daily News, which he managed for a number of years. He then became a civil engineer, and was the successful designer and builder of numerous gas works and water works throughout the country, including the water distribution system for Newport.
In December of 1875, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to build a stable, designed by Frederick B. Pope, at the rear of 343 Beacon. It was one of the few stables built on the south side of Beacon, where — like Marlborough — the lots are less deep than on the north side of Beacon and on Commonwealth.
Abbie Norman was the daughter of Thomas Durfee. After her father’s death in 1850, she was adopted by Rufus Bent Kinsley and his wife, Abbie (Durfee) Kinsley, the sister of Thomas Durfee. Rufus Bent Kinsley died in 1870, and from the mid-1880s (and possibly before) his widow lived with George and Abbie Norman.
The Normans and Abbie (Durfee) Kinsley continued to maintain their Boston home at 343 Beacon until about 1893.
On March 21, 1893, 343 Marlborough was purchased from George Norman by Jeanie Lawrence (Perkins) Kimball, the wife of attorney Marcus Morton Kimball. They previously had lived at 325 Commonwealth with his mother, Susan Tillinghast (Morton) Kimball, the widow of Moses Day Kimball. They also maintained a home in Pomfret, Connecticut.
On July 6, 1925, 343 Beacon was purchased from Jeanie Kimball by Edward M. Abbot and The Atlantic National Bank of Boston, trustees under the will of Abiel Jacob Abbot. It became the home of Dr. George Oliver Clark, a physician and surgeon, and his wife, Alice Carnzu (Abbot) Clark, the daughter of Abiel Jacob Abbot. They previously had lived (and he had maintained his office) at 67 Marlborough. They also maintained a home, Chailey, in Newburyport.
The Clarks continued to live at 343 Beacon until about 1951. By the mid-1950s, they had retired to Santa Barbara, California.
On March 14, 1951, 343 Beacon was purchased from the Abiel Abbot estate by Miss Alma Vorland. In November of 1951, she applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into nine apartments.
On April 14, 1952, real estate dealer Thomas J. Diab purchased 343 Beacon from Alma Vorland. On August 24, 1953, it was acquired from him by the National Realty Company, inc., of which he was treasurer and Charles Talanian, president.
Basil Kaidas died in January of 1985, and on March 26, 1985, Robert P. Kingman, trustee of the 343 Beacon Street Trust, purchased 343 Beacon from Kalie Kaidas. In July of 1985, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to increase the number of units from nine to ten (which he indicated was an existing condition).
On October 11, 1985, 341 Beacon Street Associates (a joint venture of H & P Associates Limited Partnership II and First American Development Corporation III) purchased 343 Beacon from Robert Kingman. On the same day, 341 Beacon Street Associates also purchased 339 and 341 Beacon.
In July of 1986, 341 Beacon Street Associates applied for (and subsequently received) permission to combine 339-341-343 Beacon into one property, add an additional story to 339 and 341 Beacon, aligning it with the roofline of 337 Beacon, and add a penthouse and roof deck on all three buildings.
On August 20, 1987, 341 Beacon Street Associates converted 339-341-343 Beacon into twenty-three condominium units, the Beacon Place Condominium.