67 Marlborough was designed by Peabody and Stearns, architects, and built ca. 1878 as the home of Dr. Richard Manning Hodges, Jr., a physician and professor of surgery at Harvard, and his wife, Frances Gardner (White) Hodges. They previously had lived at 53 Mt. Vernon.
The land for 67 Marlborough was purchased from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on December 6, 1867, by Dr. Hodges’s father, Rev. Richard Manning Hodges. He and his wife, Elizabeth Quincy (Donnison) Hodges, lived in Cambridge.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 67 Marlborough, and click here for further information about the land between the north side of Marlborough and Alley 420, from Berkeley to Clarendon.
Elizabeth Hodges died in November of 1876, and Rev. Richard Manning Hodges died in August of 1878. In his will, he left 67 Marlborough to his three children: Richard Manning Hodges, Jr., Sarah (Hodges) Swan, the widow of Rev. Joshua Augustus Swan, and Catherine Donnison (Hodges) Tower, the wife of Charles Tower. On September 11, 1878, Sarah Swan and the trustees for Catherine Tower transferred their interests in 67 Marlborough to Richard Manning Hodges, Jr.
Richard and Frances Hodges continued to live at 67 Marlborough during the 1886-1887 winter season. He also maintained his medical office there. By the 1887-1888 season, they had moved to a new home they had built at 408 Beacon.
67 Marlborough was not listed in the 1888 Blue Book.
On March 28, 1888, 67 Marlborough was purchased from Richard Manning Hodges by Augustus Lowell. He and his wife, Katharine Bigelow (Lawrence) Lowell, lived at 171 Commonwealth.
67 Commonwealth became the home of the Lowells’ son-in-law and daughter, William Lowell Putnam and Elizabeth (Lowell) Putnam. They had married in June of 1888 and 67 Marlborough was their first home together. They also maintained a home in Manchester.
William Putnam was an attorney. Elizabeth Putnam was a political activist who campaigned for better public education about prenatal and infant care. She was a leader of the Massachusetts Milk Consumers’ Association, which lobbied for milk inspection and purity laws (her daughter, Harriet, had died at the age of two from impure milk). A staunch conservative, she opposed women’s suffrage and chaired the Women’s Anti-Suffrage Association of Massachusetts. After passage of the 19th Amendment, however, she became an active Republican and in 1920 was elected president of the electoral college of Massachusetts. Among her siblings were the noted astronomer Percival Lowell, Harvard President Abbott Lawrence Lowell, and poet Amy Lowell.
The Putnams continued to live at 67 Marlborough during the 1899-1900 winter season, but had made Manchester their year-round home by 1901.
On January 14, 1901, 67 Marlborough was purchased from the estate of Augustus Lowell (who had died in June of 1900) by Olga Eliza (Gardner) Monks, the wife of Dr. George Howard Monks. They previously had lived at 267 Beacon.
George Howard Monks was a surgeon, specializing in plastic surgery, and professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and Harvard Dental School. He maintained his medical offices at 67 Marlborough.
The Monks continued to live there until November of 1916, when they inherited and moved to 51 Commonwealth, which had been Olga (Gardner) Monks’s family home (her father, George Augustus Gardner, died in August of 1916).
On June 14, 1917, 67 Marlborough was acquired from Olga Monks by Edith (Wood) Dexter, the wife of attorney Philip Dexter. They lived at 65 Marlborough.
By 1918, 67 Marlborough had become the headquarters of the British War Relief Society of New England. It previously was located at 1083 Boylston.
By the 1919-1920 winter season, 67 Marlborough was the home of Dr. George Oliver Clark, a physician, and his wife, Alice Carnzu (Abbot) Clark. He also maintained his medical offices there. They previously had lived in an apartment at 295 Commonwealth and he had maintained his medical offices at both 295 Commonwealth and 142 Beacon.
On March 8, 1923, Edith Dexter transferred 67 Marlborough to her son, William Dexter, an attorney in his father’s firm, who lived with his parents at 65 Marlborough. He married the next month to Constance Van Rensselaer Thayer. After their marriage, they lived briefly at 6 West Hill Place and then with his aunt, Miss Rose Linzee Dexter, at 400 Beacon.
The Clarks continued to live at 67 Marlborough during the 1924-1925 winter season, but moved thereafter to 343 Beacon.
By the 1925-1926 winter season, William and Constance Dexter had made 67 Marlborough their home. They also maintained a residence in Lancaster.
William Dexter died in February of 1943. Constance Dexter continued to live at 67 Marlborough until about 1951, when she moved to 9 Louisburg Square.
On October 25, 1951, 67 Marlborough was acquired from William Dexter’s estate by Ann Sullivan, and on November 21, 1951, it was acquired from her by Miss Lillian Beatrice Coady.
67 Marlborough became the home of Lillian Coady’s parents, John Peter Coady and Marion A. (Purcell) Coady, and her twin sisters, Jean and Joan Coady. They previously had lived in West Roxbury. John Coady was a bartender and a former restaurant manager; they operated 67 Marlborough as a lodging house. John and Marion Coady separated in the mid-1950s. Marion Coady and Lillian Coady continued to live at 67 Marlborough and to operate it as a lodging house until about 1959.
The property subsequently changed hands and, on October 3, 1969, was purchased by Massachusetts General Hospital, which continued to operate it as a lodging house. On September 30, 1980, MassGeneral transferred the property to the McLean Hospital Corporation.
On January 20, 1995, the Marlborough Street Development Corporation (John E. Mahoney, president) purchased 67 Marlborough from the McLean Hospital Corporation.
In May of 1995, it applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a lodging house into three apartments, and on July 9, of 1996, it converted the apartments into three condominium units, the 67 Marlborough Street Condominium.