405 Commonwealth was designed by architect James T. Kelley and built in 1900-1901 by Stephen Brennan, mason, for attorney Loren Griswold DuBois and his wife, to Mary Hurlbut (Miles) DuBois. They previously had lived at 298 Marlborough. He is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated August 13, 1900. Mary DuBois is shown as the owner on the 1908, 1917, and 1928 Bromley maps.
In his Houses of Boston’s Back Bay, Bainbridge Bunting attributes 405 Commonwealth to architect Samuel D. Kelley. This is not correct. The original building permit application clearly indicates that the architect was James T. Kelley of 57 Mt. Vernon Street (where James Templeman Kelley lived and maintained his office at that time).
The rear of the lot on which 405 Commonwealth was built extends north to Marlborough Street and has a secondary street address of 454 Marlborough.
Loren DuBois died in January of 1919. Mary DuBois continued to live at 405 Commonwealth until about 1936.
By 1937, 405 Commonwealth was owned by Josephine J. Wardrobe. She is shown as the owner on the 1938 Bromley map and is shown as the assessed owner from 1938 through 1940.
In October of 1937, she filed for permission to convert 405 Commonwealth from a single-famly dwelling into ten apartments. She subsequently abandoned the permit, but in October of 1938, she again field for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the house into ten apartments.
By 1941, 405 Commonwealth was owned by Adams Apartments Inc., which is shown as the assessed owner from 1941 through 1949.
In the summer of 1949, James B. Reagan and his wife acquired 405 Commonwealth from Adams Apartments. The transaction was reported in the Boston Globe on August 21, 1949. They continued to be the assessed owners in 1950.
By 1951, 405 Commonwealth was owned by Maurice M. Galer. He was a beverage manufacturer and later a real estate dealer in partnership with his sons, Lawrence Irwin Galer and Michael Master Galer.
Maurice Galer died in January of 1968. Prior to his death, he transferred the property to the Maurice Galer Trust.
In August of 1976, Marvin M. Glick, trustee of the 405 Realty Trust, purchased 405 Commonwealth from Lawrence Galer, Michael Galer, and Leo Dunn, trustees of the Maurice Galer Trust.
In November of 1979, the Back Bay Condominium Corporation purchased 405 Commonwealth from Marvin Glick. On the same day, it converted 405 Commonwealth into ten condiminium units, the 405 Commonwealth Condominium.