433 Marlborough was built in 1885 for Chadwick & Stillings, for speculative sale, one of eight contiguous houses (431-445 Marlborough). Chadwick & Stillings (N. Henry Chadwick and Oscar L. Stillings) was a hat block and flange company that became a significant house building firm in the 1880s and 1890s. They are shown as the owners, architects, and builders on the original building permit applications for 431-445 Marlborough, dated June 16, 1885.
The houses were built under an agreement with Henry Whitney, who owned the land. He sold them the lots at 437-445 Marlborough and retained the lots at 431-435 Marlborough. Chadwick & Stillings built all eight houses and then they sold the houses at 437-445 Marlborough and Henry Whitney sold the houses at 431-435 Marlborough.
The land was part of a parcel Henry Whitney had acquired in two transactions, on November 24, 1882, and on March 20, 1885, all part of a tract of land originally purchased from the Boston Water Power Company on June 1, 1880, by a real estate investment trust formed by Francis W. Palfrey, Francis A. Osborn, and Grenville T. W. Braman.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 433 Marlborough, and click here for further information on the land west of Massachusetts Avenue between the south side of Beacon and the north side of Commonwealth.
In July of 1885, when the eight houses were under construction, real estate dealer Alexander H. Porter offered them for sale. His advertisement in the Boston Evening Transcript noted that “they have parlor, dining-room and kitchen on the first floor and are to be finished in hard wood. The prices will vary from $20,000 to $25,000. If purchased now they will be finished to suit, and minor changes in the plans can be made without extra cost.”
The location of the kitchen in an ell, on the same floor as the dining room, was a departure from the traditional plan for Back Bay houses, in which the kitchen was located on the basement level and the dining room was located on the floor above, with food transported by a dumb waiter from the kitchen to a pantry adjoining the dining room. In 1890, Chadwick & Stillings deviated even further from the norm when it built eight houses at 13-27 Bay State Road, also designed by Samuel Kelley, with the kitchen and laundry located on the top floor. According to an April 25, 1891, Boston Journal article, this design earned them the reputation of making “more radical departures from established customs in house building than any firm in Boston.”
On October 16, 1886, 433 Marlborough was purchased from Henry Whitney by attorney James H. Young, and on October 27, 1886, he conveyed the property to Dr. Edward C. Briggs. He and his wife, Lou (Lord) Briggs, made it their home. They previously had lived at 5 Walnut.
Edward Briggs a physician and dentist, and a professor at Harvard Medical School. He maintained his office at 1 Mt. Vernon.
By the 1888-1889 winter season, Edward and Lou Briggs had moved to the Hotel Brunswick (southeast corner of Clarendon and Boylston). At about the same time, he purchased 125 Marlborough, which he converted into medical offices and residential units. When the remodeling was completed, he moved his office there.
On September 8, 1888, 433 Marlborough was acquired from Edward Briggs by Joaquin Job Souther. He and his wife, Gertrude Mae (Bouvé) Souther, made it their home. They had married in August of 1888. They also maintained a home in Hull.
Joaquin Souther was a brewer in his father’s firm, Joaquin K. Souther & Son, operators of the Burton Brewery, makers of ale and porter. In 1900, the firm went into liquidation and its assets, and the assets of its partners – including 433 Marlborough – were assigned to trustees for the benefit of their creditors.
The Southers continued to live at 433 Marlborough during the 1908-1909 winter season, after which they made their home in Hingham.
On November 27, 1909, 433 Marlborough was purchased from the trustee for the Southers’ creditors by Mary A. (Leland) Southwick, the wife of Dr. George Rinaldo Southwick. They previously had lived in an apartment at 31 Massachusetts Avenue.
George Southwick was a homeopathic physician and gynecologist, and was a professor at Boston University’s School of Medicine. He also maintained his office at 433 Marlborough.
Mary Southwick died in October of 1923. The Southwicks had no children, and George Southwick inherited one-half interest in 433 Marlborough and her surviving heirs at law inherited one-eighth interest each: her two surviving siblings, Ella Abby Leland and Edmund Francis Leland, Jr., and her two nephews, Richard Cutler Leland, the only child of her deceased brother, Willis Daniels Leland, and Leland Gay Darrow, the only surviving child of her deceased sister, Ada E. (Leland) Darrow, the wife of Alfred Lyman Darrow.
On October 14, 1925, the Leland family members’ interests in 433 Marlborough were acquired by the Cambridge Improvement Corporation, organized by George Southwick to hold his property. On January 13, 1927, the Cambridge Improvement Corporation acquired Leland Darrow’s one-eighth interest, and on July 28, 1927, it acquired George Southwick’s one-half interest.
George Southwick continued to live and maintain his office at 433 Marlborough.
George Southwick died in January of 1930. Shortly before his death, his sister, Annie E. Southwick, came from New York to live with him. In his January 8m 1930, Boston Globe obituary, she was identified as being “his only survivor.”
Annie Southwick continued to live at 433 Marlborough and on October 15, 1942, the Cambridge Improvement Corporation (of which she was the president) transferred the property to her.
Annie Southwick died in May of 1945.
On September 13, 1945, 433 Marlborough was acquired from Annie Southwick’s estate by Hugh Macdonald.
433 Marlborough became the home of Rene Marchant and his wife, Alice (Breitel) Arnaud Marchant. They previously had lived at 158 St. Botolph. He was a chef and hotel food service manager.
The Marchants subleased a portion of the house to Dr. Leo Alexander for his office. He lived in Newton. Leo Alexander was a physician and psychiatrist. He served as chief medical advisor to the American Counsel at the Nuremburg Trials in 1946, and wrote the Nuremburg Code, which established ethical and legal principles relating to medical experimentation with humans. He subsequently was an assistant clinical professor at Tufts Medical School and also served as a consultant to the Boston Police Department, and was credited as being instrumental in solving the Boston strangler case. He continued to maintain his office at 433 Marlborough until the mid-1970s.
On August 23, 1949, Alice Marchant purchased 433 Marlborough from Hugh Macdonald, acquiring the property as trustee for the benefit of her two sons by her first marriage (to Frank Arnaud): Edouard X. Arnaud and Rene E. Arnaud.
At about the same time, the Marchants separated. Alice Marchant continued to live at 433 Marlborough until her death in November of 1976.
On July 1, 1977, 433 Marlborough was purchased from Edouard Arnaud and Rene Arnaud by Peter Pirquet Papesch, an architect and real estate developer, and his wife, Barbara (Goodwin) Papesch, as trustees of the 433 Marlborough Street Trust, of which they were the two beneficiaries. In June of 1977, in anticipation of the purchase, Peter Papesch filed for (and subsequently received) permission to legalize the occupancy of 433 Marlborough as a single-family dwelling and professional office, there being no prior record of the legal occupancy on file with the Building Department.
On February 1, 1982, Peter Papesch transferred his beneficial interest in the property to his wife.
In December of 2005, Barbara Papesch filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling and professional office into a two-family dwelling and professional office.
The Papesches divorced and on June 30, 2006, Peter Papesch withdrew as a co-trustee of the 433 Marlborough Street Trust.
Barbara Papesch died in February of 2020.
433 Marlborough remained a two-family dwelling and professional office, assessed as a combined residential and commercial building, in 2020.
On February 11, 2021, 433 Marlborough was purchased from Barbara Pepesch’s estate by the 433 Marlborough LLC (Thomas Calus, manager of record).