509 Beacon was designed by Carl Fehmer, architect, and built in 1887 by James Smith, builder, one of a symmetrical pair (507-509 Beacon).
509 Beacon was built for marine and fire insurance broker Samuel Seabury Allen and his wife, Hannah Doane (Wells) Allen. He is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated March 21, 1887. They previously had lived at 76 Mt. Vernon. They also maintained a home in York Harbor, Maine.
Samuel Allen died in June of 1892. Hannah Allen continued to live at 509 Beacon with their four children: Edith Seabury Allen, Seabury Wells Allen, Marjorie Binney Allen, and Dorothy Doane Allen. Marjorie and Dorothy Allen were twins.
John C. Ropes et al, trustees, are shown as the owners of 509 Beacon on the 1895 and 1898 Bromley maps; Hannah D. Allen et al, trustees, are shown as the owners on the 1908 and 1917 Bromley maps; and Alanson L. Allen et al, trustees, are shown as the owners on the 1928 Bromley map.
Edith Allen married in June of 1895 to John Prentiss, a lawyer, and they moved to The Ludlow (southwest corner of Clarendon and St. James). He died in March of 1897 and Edith (Allen) Prentiss resumed living at 509 Beacon with her mother and siblings.
During the 1897-1898 winter season, the Allen family was living elsewhere and 509 Beacon was the home of James Hewitt Morgan and his wife, Martha (Leavitt) Morgan. They had lived at 314 Dartmouth during the previous season. They moved from 509 Beacon by the 1898-1899 season, probably to their home on Grindstone Island in New York, and the Allen family was once again living at 509 Beacon.
Edith (Allen) Prentiss married again in August of 1901 to Humphrey Turner Nichols, a writer; after their marriage, they lived in Europe and York Harbor.
Marjorie Allen married in August of 1905 to Morland Carter and they moved elsewhere.
Hannah Allen continued to live at 309 Beacon with her unmarried children, Seabury and Dorothy Allen. Seabury Allen was a physician and maintained his office at 509 Beacon.
Seabury Allen married in June of 1912 to Elizabeth Upton. After their marriage, they moved to 6 Acorn and then at 20 Charles River Square. He continued to maintain his medical office at 509 Beacon in 1917, but had moved it to 20 Charles River Square by 1920.
By the 1920-1921 winter season, Hannah and Dorothy Allen had been re-joined at 509 Beacon by Marjorie (Allen) Carter, who had divorced from her husband.
Hannah Allen died in March of 1934. Marjorie Carter and Dorothy Allen continued to live at 509 Beacon until about 1940. Old Colony Trust Co. et al, trustees, are shown as the owners on the 1938 Bromley map.
509 Beacon was shown as vacant in the 1941-1944 City Directories.
By 1944, 509 Beacon was owned by real estate dealer Benjamin Lipsky. In May of 1944, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the house, and in April pf 1945, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to do further remodeling and convert the property into a lodging house.
By 1946, she had moved to 4 Reedsdale in Allston.
By 1948, 509 Beacon was the home of Josephine (Cuoco) D’Amore, the former wife of Santo D’Amore, who operated it as a lodging house. Their unmarried daughters, Mary and Jean D’Amore, lived with her. They previously had lived at 74 Salem; she had operated the Taormina Restaurant at 76 Salem.
In 1949, Mary D’Amore married Sidney Paul Dobrov, a grocer. After their marriage they moved to 304 Commonwealth. In April of 1951, Josephine D’Amore purchased 304 Commonwealth and the Dobrov’s operated it as a lodging house.
Josephine and Jean D’Amore continued to live at 509 Beacon, joined in the mid-1950s by Josephine D’Amore’s daughter, Nina, the former wife of Anthony T. Nogueira, who had resumed her maiden name, Nina D’Amore.
By 1962, Josephine D’Amore had acquired 250 Newbury, where she moved temporarily and operated a lodging house. In March of 1962, she acquired 291 Commonwealth, an apartment house.
At about the same time, Jean D’Amore moved to 304 Commonwealth, where here brother-in-law and sister, Sidney and Mary Dobrov, continued to manage the lodging house. Mary Dobrov and Jean D’Amore operated the Mar-Jean Sportswear company together.
Nina D’Amore continued to live at 509 Beacon and operate it as a lodging house. She subsequently married to Robert Millen, after which they lived in Canton.
By 1963, Josephine D’Amore had moved back to 509 Beacon, but continued to own the lodging houses at 250 Newbury and 304 Commonwealth. She continued to live at 509 Beacon in 1964, but moved thereafter to an apartment at 291 Commonwealth.
By 1967, 509 Beacon was owned by Phillip Lemelman, trustee of the Bethan Realty Trust. It continued to be a lodging house.
The property changed hands. It continued to be a lodging house in 2014.