119 Marlborough was designed by architect George F. Meacham and built ca. 1873 by builder James W. Tobey. He and his wife, Lydia C. (Morrill) Tobey, lived on Blue Hill Avenue.
James Tobey purchased the 24 foot wide lot for 119 Marlborough on March 19, 1873, from attorney Edwin H. Abbot, who had acquired it from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on September 9, 1867. The lot originally had been purchased from the Commonwealth at its public auction on January 3, 1863, by attorney Edward Sprague Rand, who had transferred his right to purchase the land to Edwin Abbot, probably to hold on his behalf.
In April of 1873, James Tobey received a permit to build 119 Marlborough (reported in the Boston Evening Transcript on April 12, 1873). Construction probably started soon thereafter.
On July 7, 1873, James Tobey purchased a six inch strip to the east from James Standish under the party wall with 117 Marlborough, thereby increasing the size of the lot at 119 Marlborough to 24 feet 6 inches.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 119 Marlborough, and click here for further information about the land between the north side of Marlborough and Alley 419, from Clarendon to Dartmouth.
Edmund S. Rand purchased 119 Marlborough from James Tobey on May 6, 1874, and he and his wife, Elizabeth (Arnold) Rand, made it their home. They previously had lived at the Hotel Pelham (southwest corner of Tremont and Boylston).
They continued to live at 119 Marlborough during the 1877-1878 winter season, but moved thereafter. By 1880, they were living at 39 Fort Avenue in Roxbury. He and his wife were killed on January 18, 1884, in the wreck of the steamer City of Columbus off Gay’s Head at Martha’s Vineyard. Their son, Rev. Charles A. Rand, his wife, Jennie (Wing) Rand, and their daughter, Frances M. Rand, also were killed.
On December 28, 1878, 119 Marlborough was acquired from Edward Rand by Thomas Wigglesworth, a shipping merchant in the East India and Calcutta trade. He was unmarried and lived at 1 Park. Thomas Wigglesworth held a mortgage on 119 Marlborough and several other properties owned by Edward Rand, who released his interest in the properties, possibly in lieu of foreclosure.
By the fall of 1879, 119 Marlborough was the home of Dr. George W. Rhodes, a physician, and his wife, Juliette (Smith) Hall Rhodes. They previously had lived in Jamaica Plain and he had maintained his medical office at 208 Shawmut. In August of 1879, he announced by advertisements in the Boston Globe that he “opens his residence, 119 Marlborough street, this city, September 1, and will devote his entire attention to the treatment of brainal and nervous diseases.”
In June of 1880, George Rhodes advertised in the Boston Globe “Dr. Rhodes’ Patent Electric Transfusing Battery, the only battery in existence capable of being charged with medicinal properties which can be transfused into the system.” He claimed he had successfully used the battery for twelve years “in the cure of Paralysis, Brain and Nervous Diseases” and was “still practising [sic] the same method at his office, 119 Marlborough Street, Boston.”
George and Juliette Rhodes continued to live at 119 Marlborough (and he to maintain his medical office there) during the 1880-1881 season. They moved thereafter to 127 West Chester Park, and he moved his office to 19 Temple Place.
On May 10, 1881, 119 Marlborough was acquired from Thomas Wigglesworth by Susan Christina (Parker) Tenney, the wife of Nathaniel Fisher Tenney. They previously had lived at 30 Worcester Square.
Nathaniel Tenney was a boot and shoe merchant and also served as president of the Winthrop National Bank.
In 1885, their son-in-law and daughter, Charles and Alice (Tenney) Bullard, lived with them. Charles Bullard was a coffee and spice merchant. They moved soon thereafter to Francis Street in the Longwood district of Brookline.
The Tenneys continued to live at 119 Marlborough until shortly before his death in May of 1891.
On March 5, 1891, 119 Marlborough was acquired from Susan Tenney by Nancy Hill (Newhall) Valpey, the wife of shoe manufacturer Henry R. Valpey. They previously had lived in Leominster. Nancy Valpey’s sister, Harriet Maria (Newhall) Warner, the widow of Oliver Warner, lived with them. They continued to live at 119 Marlborough during the 1892-1893 season, but moved thereafter to Brookline.
On March 10, 1893, 119 Marlborough was acquired from Nancy Valpey by real estate dealer George Loud Clark. He and his wife, Helen Augusta (Rothwell) Clark, made it their home. They had lived at the Hotel Vendôme in 1892.
George Clark died in March of 1912, and Helen Clark moved soon thereafter to 43 Ivy.
On Mary 23, 1912, 119 Marlborough was purchased from George Clark’s estate by Julia Hurd (Hutchins) Crocker, the wife of attorney George Glover Crocker, Jr. They previously had lived at 439 Marlborough. They also maintained a home in Cohasset.
119 Marlborough was not listed in the 1922 Blue Book.
On March 3, 1922, 119 Marlborough was acquired from Julia Crocker by Harriet Sayles (Jaques) Motley, the wife of investment banker Edward Motley. They previously had lived at 413 Beacon. They continued to live at 119 Marlborough during the 1923-1924 winter season, after which the made their home in Concord.
On July 2, 1924, 119 Marlborough was purchased from Harriet Motley by Thomas Jefferson Newbold and his wife, Katherine (Hubbard) Newbold. They previously had lived at 210 Beacon.
In July of 1924, they applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the house, including lowering the front entrance to street level. The remodeling was designed by architect Charles G. Loring. They also maintained a home in Beverly Farms.
T. Jefferson Newbold grew up in Hyde Park, New York, where his parents were next door neighbors of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. He began his business career as a selling agent for the International Cotton Mills. He subsequently became an investment banker and by 1924 was treasurer of the Red Star Manufacturing Company, makers of house furnishing goods. He subsequently was president of an electrical engineering firm.
T. Jefferson Newbold died in July of 1939. At the time of his death, Eleanor Roosevelt described him as “one of our oldest friends.” Katherine Newbold continued to live at 119 Marlborough until about 1951.
On July 17, 1953, 119 Marlborough was purchased from Katherine Newbold by Hyman Goodman. Later that month, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into ten apartments.
On April 1, 1959, 119 Marlborough was acquired from Hyman Goodman by John V. Kunigenas. On June 29, 1973, it was acquired from him by Anthony P. Baker, and on July 7, 1976, John Kunigenas foreclosed on a mortgage given by Anthony Baker and re-possessed the property.
On August 22, 1979, 119 Marlborough was purchased from John Kunigenas by the Broderick Development Corporation (Frank H. McCourt, Jr., president). On the same day, it also purchased 136 Beacon, 138 Beacon, 169 Beacon, and 171 Beacon.
On the same day, Broderick Development transferred the property to the Broderick Investment Corporation, and it sold the property to John Forger, as an individual, and the Broderick Realty Corporation (Frank H. McCourt, president), jointly doing business as 119 Marlborough Street Associates.
On January 2, 1980, 119 Marlborough Street Associates converted 119 Marlborough into ten condominium units, the 119 Marlborough Street Condominium.