413 Beacon is one of three contiguous houses (413-415-417 Beacon) designed in the same style and built ca. 1867 for shipping merchant Henry Wainwright and his wife, Ann Brooks (Parker) Wainwright, and their son, investment banker Henry Chapman Wainwright and his wife, Sarah Blake (Dexter) Wainwright.
The land on which 413-415-417 Beacon were built was part of a larger parcel purchased from the Boston Water Power Company on February 20, 1863, by banker and broker Robert Marion Pratt. He was unmarried and lived at 13 Louisburg Square with his parents, George Williams Pratt (one of the founders of the Boston Stock Exchange) and Mary Barrow (White) Pratt. The Pratts also maintained a home, Oakley, on Belmont Avenue in Watertown (it became the Oakley Country Club in 1898).
Click here for an index to the deeds for 413 Beacon, and click here for further information about the land between the south side of Beacon and Alley 415, from Gloucester to Hereford.
On May 23, 1866, the Wainwright family purchased the lots for 413-415-417 Beacon from Robert Pratt. The lot for 413 Beacon was purchased by Henry Chapman Wainwright’s wife. Sarah (Dexter) Wainwright; the lot for 415 Beacon was purchased by Henry Chapman Wainwright’s first cousin, Miss Anne Wainwright Davis, the daughter of Jonathan Amory Davis and Emily H. (Parker) Davis (the sister of Ann Brooks (Parker) Wainwright); and the lot for 417 Beacon was purchased by Henry Chapman Wainwright’s sister, Rebecca P. Wainwright, on behalf of their parents, Henry and Ann (Parker) Wainwright.
413 and 415 Beacon were built with stables at the rear, two of the few stables built on the south side of Beacon, where — like Marlborough — the lots are less deep than on the north side of Beacon and on Commonwealth.
When the houses were completed, 413 Beacon became the home of Henry C. and Sarah (Dexter) Wainwright. They had lived at 10 West Cedar in 1866 and also maintained a home in Milton. 415 Beacon became the home of Anne W. Davis. And 417 Beacon became the home of Henry and Ann (Parker) Wainwright, their daughter, Rebecca, and their son and daughter-in-law, Isaac Parker Wainwright and Frances Caroline (Skinner) Wainwright.
Henry and Sarah Wainwright’s six children lived with them at 413 Beacon: Katherine Dexter Wainwright, Henry Chapman Wainwright, Jr., Charles Dexter Wainwright, Amory Davis Wainwright, Arthur Wainwright, and Robert Wainwright.
Katherine Wainwright married in October of 1874 to Henry Saltonstall Howe, a textile manufacturer in Norwich, Connecticut, where they lived after their marriage.
Charles Wainwright married in September of 1879 to Grace Mary Hall of Medford. He was a wholesale dealer in building supplies and later a real estate dealer and trustee. After their marriage, they lived in Medford.
Henry and Sarah Wainwright continued to live at 413 Beacon during the 1899-1900 winter season, and then made Milton their year-round home. Their unmarried sons – Henry Jr., Arthur, and Robert – lived with them. In September of 1902, Henry C. Wainwright retired from his investment banking firm, and Henry Jr., Arthur, and Robert Wainwright succeeded him.
By the 1900-1901 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of William Rotch and his wife, Edith Rotch (Eliot) Rotch. They had lived at 125 Beacon during the previous season and also maintained a home in Jamaica Plain. William Rotch was a consulting engineer and manager of trust properties. They continued to live at 413 Beacon during the 1902-1903 season, but moved thereafter to 157 Bay State Road.
By the 1903-1904 winter season, 413 Beacon was once again the home of Sarah Wainwright and her son, Arthur. Henry C. Wainwright probably was living at McLean Hospital in Waverly, where he died in December of 1904. Robert Wainwright had married in September of 1902 to Elsie Thorndike (Nourse) Ball of 194 Marlborough, and they lived in Concord, Massachusetts. Henry Wainwright, Jr., had died in September of 1903.
During the 1904-1905 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of Linzee Prescott and his wife, Frances (Brown) Prescott. They previously had lived at 30 Gloucester. Linzee Prescott was treasurer of the Atlantic Cotton Mills. They continued to live at 413 Beacon in 1906.
During the 1906-1907 winter season, it was the Boston home of William Ellery Channing Eustis, a metallurgical engineer. He was a widower and his three adult children — Frederick, Augustus, and Mary — lived with him. Their primary residence was in Milton. William Eustis’s sister, Emily Augusta (Eustis) Jeffries, the widow of Dr. John Amory Jeffries, also lived with him at 413 Beacon. She previously had lived at the Hotel Agassiz at 191 Commonwealth. By the 1907-1908 season, the Eustises had moved to 321 Dartmouth, and Mrs. Jeffries had moved to 105 Marlborough.
Sarah Wainwright died in April of 1907 in Milton.
During the 1907-1908 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of attorney Charles Eustis Hubbard and his wife, Caroline Dennie (Tracy) Hubbard. They previously had lived in Cambridge. By the next season, they had moved to 443 Beacon.
By the 1908-1909 winter season, Frances Prescott was living at 413 Beacon once again, Linzee Prescott having died in October of 1907 at McLean Hospital. She had lived at the Hotel Kempton at 237 Berkeley during the 1907-1908 winter season. By the 1909-1910 season, she had moved to 15 Gloucester.
By the 1909-1910 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of Dr. Edward Clark Streeter and his wife, Alice Martha (Chase) Streeter. They previously had lived at 435 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Stonington, Connecticut.
He was physician doing bacteriological research at Massachusetts General Hospital. He was an expert on medical humanists and artist/anatomists of the Renaissance, and in the 1930s taught courses in the history of medicine at Yale Medical School.
Dr. Streeter also maintained his medical office at 413 Beacon.
In May of 1912, he purchased 280 Beacon. He and his wife continued to live at 413 Beacon, however, and on August 21, 1912, he purchased the house from Sarah Wainwright’s estate.
The Streeters continued to live at 413 Beacon (and he continued to maintain his medical office there) during the 1914-1915 winter season, after which they moved their home and his office to 280 Beacon. He continued to own 413 Beacon and lease it to others.
413 Beacon was not listed in the 1916 Blue Book.
By the 1916-1917 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of investment banker Edward Motley and his wife, Harriet Sayles (Jaques) Motley. They previously had lived at The Belvoir at 636 Beacon. They continued to live at 413 Beacon during the 1921-1922 season, but moved thereafter to 119 Marlborough.
By the 1922-1923 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of Francis Minot and his wife, Isabel Shirley (Quackenbush) Minot. They previously had lived at 56 Fenway. They also maintained a home in Falmouth.
Francis Minot was a naval architect and oceanographer.
They continued to live at 413 Beacon during the 1926-1927 season, but moved thereafter to 81 Beacon.
By the 1928-1928 winter season, 413 Beacon was the home of George Dotson Haskell and his wife, Blanche (Valentine) Haskell. They previously had lived in Chestnut Hill. They first leased 413 Beacon from Edward Streeter and then, on November 5, 1929, purchased the house from him. They also maintained a home in Marblehead Neck.
George Haskell was president of the Bausch Machine Tool Company in Springfield.
They continued to live at 413 Beacon until about 1950.
On September 25, 1950, 413 Beacon was purchased from George Haskell by Stephen Baker, Jr., and his wife, Harriet Lillian (Moynahan) Baker, and Rudolph Longfellow Zimpel, Jr., and his wife, Constance Alice (Baker) Zimpel. Stephen Baker and Catherine Zimpel were brother and sister. Each couple owned a one-half undivided interest.
On February 27, 1951, 413 Beacon was purchased from the Bakers and the Zimpels by Jacob Leroy Garber. He and his wife, Edith (Edythe) Ila (Chasens) Garber, lived in Brookline.
In January of 1951, Edith Garber (filing as Edith Chasens) filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into six apartments. In March of 1951, LeRoy Garber filed for (and subsequently received) permission to amend the permit, increasing the number of units to eight by adding two apartments in the basement.
The property changed hands and on April 1, 1969, was acquired by Francis C. Pratt, II. In July of 1969, he acquired 415 Beacon.
On June 4, 1976, 413 and 415 Beacon were purchased from Francis Pratt by Phillip M. Delales, trustee of the Fairborough Realty Trust. On May 23, 1978, he transferred 413 Beacon to himself as trustee of the Arrowhead Realty Trust.
In December of 1978. the Arrowhead Realty Trust applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 413 Beacon from eight apartments into six apartments.
On January 19, 1979, Theodore O. Johnson, trustee of the Arrowhead Realty Trust, converted the property into six condominium units, the 413 Beacon Street Condominium.