192 Marlborough was built in 1881 by Samuel Stillings and Joseph Lancaster, builders, one of two contiguous houses (192-194 Marlborough).
Samuel Stillings, his son Oscar L. Stillings, and N. Henry Chadwick were shown as the owners on the original building permit application for the two houses, dated September 5, 1881. Oscar Stillings and N. Henry Chadwick were partners in Chadwick & Stillings, a hat block and flange company that became a significant house building firm in the 1880s and 1890s.
Samuel Stillings purchased the land for 192 Marlborough on November 18, 1881, from attorney Peleg Whitman Chandler. N. Henry Chadwick and Oscar Stillings purchased the land for 194 Marlborough on the same day, also from Peleg Chandler. The two lots were part of a larger parcel Peleg Chandler had acquired on May 15, 1872, from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 192 Marlborough.
On January 27, 1883, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Samuel Stillings by Isabel Hazard (Bullock) Bartlett, the wife of iron merchant Nelson Slater Bartlett. They lived at 272 Marlborough.
By the 1883-1884 winter season, 192 Marlborough was the home of Sidney Frederick Tyler and his wife, Mary Woodrow (Binney) Tyler. They previously had lived at 120 Marlborough.
Sidney Tyler was Massachusetts General Agent for the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company.
On June 15, 1885, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Isabel Bartlett by wholesale lumber merchant George Howe Davenport. He previously had lived at the Hotel Brunswick (southeast corner of Clarendon and Boylston).
In November of 1885, he married Camilla H. Chace. After their marriage, they made 192 Marlborough their home. On December 11, 1885, he transferred the property into her name.
They continued to live there during the 1889-1890 winter season, but moved soon thereafter to the Hotel Victoria at 273 Dartmouth, where they remained until the 1892-1893 season, when they moved to a new home they had built at 460 Beacon.
On May 8, 1890, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Camilla Davenport by John Kilburn. He and his wife, Amanda Maria (Whitman) Kilburn, lived in Lowell and later in Belmont. He was agent for the Lawrence Manufacturing Company.
192 Marlborough became the home of the Kilburns’ son and daughter-in-law, Dr. Henry Whitman Kilburn and Harriet Mason (Plumer) Kilburn. They had married in April of 1889, after which they had lived at 130 Marlborough with Harriet Kilburn’s mother. He was a physician and ophthalmic surgeon.
John Kilburn died in June of 1904 and Amanda Kilburn died in November of 1908. Henry Kilburn inherited 192 Marlborough.
From about 1906, Harriet Kilburn appears to have lived primarily in Europe, where they established a second home in Lugano, Switzerland.
Dr. Kilburn continued to live and maintain his medical office at 192 Marlborough. At the time of the 1910 US Census, he had several lodgers living with him. By about 1911, he had been joined by Dr. Torr Wagner Harmer, also a physician and surgeon, who specialized in surgery to the hand. They continued to live and maintain their medical offices there until 1916, when Dr. Kilburn retired and moved to Switzerland and Dr. Harmer moved to 496 Commonwealth.
On April 15, 1920, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Henry Kilburn (a resident of Interlaken, Switzerland) by real estate dealer William J. Stober.
On July 15, 1920, 192 Marlborough was acquired by Mary Rodman (Southerland) Bacon, the wife of banker and broker Louis Bacon. They previously had lived at 15 Marlborough.
In July of 1920, Louis Bacon filed for (and subsequently received) permission to add a bay window to the dining room at the rear of the house. Plans for the window (with no architect noted) are included in the City of Boston Blueprints Collection in the Boston Public Library’s Arts Department (reference BIN D-8).
The Bacons continued to live at 192 Marlborough in 1921, but had moved to the Hotel Vendôme by 1922.
By the 1921-1922 winter season, 192 Marlborough was the home of Dr. Elisha Flagg, a physician, and his wife, Eleanor Amelia Marguerite Cecilia (Shattuck) Whitney Flagg. They previously had lived at 199 Commonwealth. They continued to live at 192 Marlborough during the 1922-1923 winter season, but moved soon thereafter to 55 Commonwealth.
On October 15, 1923, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Mary Bacon by Lillian (Lilian) (Marshall) Mitchell Howes, the wife of leather dealer Henry Sherman Howes. They previously had lived at 88 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Chatham.
They continued to live at 192 Marlborough until 1949, when they moved to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, where they were living when she died in November of 1949.
On October 24, 1949, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Lillian (Lilian) Howes by real estate dealer Thomas J. Diab.
In November of 1949, Mabel Kearns, presumably acting for Thomas Diab, filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a single-family dwelling into nine apartments.
The property changed hands and on October 15, 1953, was acquired by William Milan Neshamkin. He lived in Ogonquit, Maine, where he and his partner, Donald Arthur Berglund, operated the Country Shop.
In December of 1958, William Neshamkin filed for (and subsequently received) permission to add a one-story, three room apartment at the rear of the building and increase the occupancy from nine to ten units.
On May 25, 1960, William Neshamkin transferred 192 Marlborough into his and Donald Berglund’s names.
William Neshamkin died in July of 1977. On December 8, 1987, Donald Berglund transferred 192 Marlborough to himself and Sam Davies Vaught as trustees of the Berglund Marlborough Realty Trust.
Donald Berglund died in March of 1999.
On February 4, 2005, 192 Marlborough was purchased from the Berglund Marlborough Realty Trust by Helios Investments, LLC (Dick Anagnost, manager of record).
On May 18, 2005, 192 Marlborough was purchased from Helios Investments by Marlborough Street Ventures, LLC (David L Goldman, manager of record). In August of 2005, it filed for (and subsequently received) permission to reduce the number of units from ten to two, and on February 1, 2007, it converted the property into two condominium units, the 192 Marlborough Condominium.