295 Marlborough was designed and built ca. 1871 by Frederick B. Pope for speculative sale, one of eight contiguous houses (285-287-289-291-293-295-297-299 Marlborough) built at about the same time.
285-287-289 Marlborough appear to have been built first, in early 1871, with 287-289 Marlborough designed as a symmetrical pair. 291-293-295-297-299 Marlborough were begun later in 1871, designed as a symmetrical composition, with 291 and 299 Marlborough on wider lots with bays, and 293-295-297 Marlborough on less wide lots with oriel windows. 295 Marlborough, on the smallest lot (17 feet wide) forms the center of that composition, with a defined mansard roof, large dormer, and centered entrance.
291-293-295-297-299 Marlborough were built on a 102 foot wide parcel that Frederick Pope assembled from three lots. The eastern 34 feet was the remainder of a 100 foot lot he had purchased on November 19, 1870, and on which he had built 285-287-289 Marlborough to the east. He purchased the center 24 foot lot and the western 44 foot lot on October 17, 1871, from the estate of Sidney Homer.
The western 44 foot lot was half of an 88 foot wide parcel that Frederick Pope and paper manufacturer John Dixwell Thompson had agreed to purchase jointly, 64 feet from Sidney Homer’s estate and 24 feet from Franklin Evans. On June 9, 1871, they agreed to divide the parcel, with Frederick Pope subsequently purchasing the eastern half from the Homer estate and J. Dixwell Thompson purchasing the western half from the Homer estate and Franklin Evans (301-303 Marlborough subsequently would be built on this land). J. Dixwell Thompson and his wife, Sally Phillips (Blagden) Thompson, lived at 287 Marlborough.
All of the land was part of one of several parcels originally purchased from the Boston Water Power Company on January 29, 1866, by a real estate investment trust formed by John Templeman Coolidge, Franklin Evans, and Charles Henry Parker. The trust had subdivided the property into lots, which it sold to investors and builders, who then frequently resold the lots to others.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 295 Marlborough.
On October 1, 1872, 295 Marlborough was purchased from Frederick Pope by Maria A. (Westcott) Sleeper, the wife of Jacob Henry Sleeper. They previously had lived in West Roxbury.
J. Henry Sleeper had served as a Major in the Civil War. After the war, he entered his father’s real estate and clothing businesses. By the 1870s, he was a hardware merchant.
During the 1876-1877 winter season, the Sleepers were living elsewhere, and 295 Marlborough was the home of Charles John Prince and his wife, Justine de Peyster (Cotton) Prince. He was an oil dealer. They previously had lived at the Hotel Vendôme. They had moved to 35 Mt. Vernon by December of 1877 when their son, Charles Barnard Prince, was born.
By the 1877-1878 winter season, the Sleepers were living at 295 Marlborough once again.
In about 1889, the Sleepers had architect Arthur Little design a shingle-style home in Marblehead as their summer residence.
Jacob Sleeper died in August of 1891. Maria Sleeper continued to live at 295 Marlborough during the 1898-1899 winter season, but in July of 1899 purchased and subsequently moved to 336 Beacon. On June 26, 1900, she transferred 295 Marlborough to her son, Jacob. He served in the US Diplomatic Corps and maintained his Boston residence at 336 Beacon with his mother. He leased 295 Marlborough to others.
By the 1899-1900 winter season, 295 Marlborough was the home of attorney Charles Armstrong Snow and his wife Fanny Devens (Sherburne) Snow. They had married in January of 1899 and 295 Marlborough probably was their first home together. Mrs. Frances Sherburne (Wallace) Richardson, Fanny Snow’s daughter by her previous marriage to William Wallace, lived with them.
They continued to live at 295 Marlborough during the 1910-1911 winter season, but moved thereafter to The Ericson at 373 Commonwealth.
On August 8, 1911, 295 Marlborough was purchased from Jacob Sleeper by Dr. John Lewis Bremer, Jr. He and his wife, Mary Cleveland (Bigelow) Bremer, made it their home. They previously had lived at 10 Fairfield.
John Lewis Bremer, Jr., was a physician and professor of histology at Harvard Medical School.
The Bremers continued to live at 295 Marlborough during the 1916-1917 winter season. In December of 1916, John Bremer’s mother, Mary Rice (Farnsworth) Bremer, the widow of John Lewis Bremer, died, and John and Mary Bremer moved to her former home at 416 Beacon.
On July 12, 1917, 295 Marlborough was purchased from J. Lewis Bremer by Elizabeth (Gardner) Amory, the widow of Charles Walter Amory.
Elizabeth Amory lived at 295 Marlborough during the 1917=1918 and 1918-1919 winter seasons. Her unmarried son, George Gardner Amory, a stockbroker, lived with her. They previously had lived at 278 Beacon, which they continued to own and lease to others. By the 1919-1920 season, they had moved back to 278 Beacon.
By the 1919-1920 winter season, 295 Marlborough was the home of Olivia (Thorndike) Simpkins, the widow of Nathaniel Stone Simpkins, Jr., who had died in October of 1918, while serving in the US Army in France. She also maintained a home in Beverly Farms, which had been their primary residence before his death.
She spent the 1927-1928 winter season in Beverly Farms and Dr. and Mrs. John Lewis Bremer once again lived at 295 Marlborough for the winter. They had been living at 416 Beacon. since they moved in 1917. By the 1928-1929 season, they had moved to 113 Marlborough.
Olivia Simpkins continued to live at 295 Marlborough until her death in December of 1959.
On September 12, 1960, 295 Marlborough was acquired from Olivia Simpkins’s estate by Jordan M. Whitelaw, producer of the radio and television broadcasts of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
He converted the property into three apartments and made one of them his home. He was unmarried.
He continued to live at 295 Marlborough until his death in February of 1982.
On April 28, 1983, 295 Marlborough was purchased from Jordan Whitelaw’s estate by Renee (Levenbaum) Hirsch, the former wife of Stanley L. Hirsch, of Meredith, New Hampshire.
In April of 1984, she converted the property into three condominium units, the 295 Marlborough Street Condominium.