327 Beacon was designed and built ca. 1872 by Frederick B. Pope for speculative sale, one of fourteen contiguous houses (303-305-307-309-311-313-315-317-319-321-323-325-327-329 Beacon) he designed and built in the early 1870s.
An advertisement by Frederick Pope in the December 16, 1872 Boston Transcript described the property as “two stories, basement and French roof. Four stories in natural woods. Four stories and attic finished.”
327 Beacon was built on the eastern 33 feet of a 50 foot wide lot. Frederick Pope probably held the right to purchase the land from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, but did not do so before erecting the house.
On April 30, 1873, the land with the house on it was purchased from the Commonwealth by Emma Esther (Howe) Proctor, the wife of leather dealer Thomas Emerson Proctor. They previously had lived in Peabody. On the same day, she sold the remaining 17 foot lot to the west to Frederick Pope, including in the deed a stipulation that the rear of any house built at 329 Beacon could not extend further south than the rear of the house at 327 Beacon.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 327 Beacon.
The Proctors continued to live at 327 Beacon during the 1890-1891 winter season, after which they moved to a new home they had built at 273 Commonwealth.
327 Beacon was not listed in the 1893 and 1894 Blue Books.
On May 30, 1894, 327 Beacon was purchased from Emma Proctor by Mary Susanna (Davis) Hutchins, the wife of Constantine Foundulaki Hutchins. They previously had lived at 83 Newbury.
Constantine Hutchins was a wool manufacturer and merchant.
On April 7, 1910, Mary Hutchins transferred 327 Beacon into her husband’s name.
Constantine Hutchins died in March of 1927. Mary Hutchins continued to live at 327 Beacon until her death in July of 1934.
The house was not listed in the 1935 and 1936 Blue Books and was shown as vacant in the 1935 and 1936 City Directories. It continued to be owned by the trustees under Constantine Hutchins’s will, who were his son, investment banker Constantine Hutchins, and his grandson, banker George Glover Crocker, III (the son of George Glover Crocker, Jr., and Julia Hurd Hutchins).
By the 1936-1937 winter season, it was the home of George Glover Crocker, III, and his wife, Marie Davenport (Brown) Crocker. They previously had lived in Brookline. They also maintained a home in Cohasset.
They continued to live at 327 Beacon until about 1943, when they moved to 396 Beacon, which had been the home of Marie Crocker’s parent, Davenport Brown and Marie (McKenna) Brown.
On October 5, 1943, 327 Beacon was acquired by Israel Ramler. He was president of the State Electric and Lock Shop, and lived in Roxbury.
327 Beacon was not listed in the 1944 City Directory.
The property subsequently changed hands. By the mid-1940s, it appears to have been converted into three apartments, and by the late 1940s into seven apartments. It was probably at this time that an additional story was added. Photographs from the early 1940s show that it was only three stories high, but permit documents from 1950 show it to be four stories in height.
On December 22, 1949, 327 Beacon was acquired by Harold B. Rutledge.
In June of 1950, real estate dealer Hyman Goodman, as Harold Rutledge’s agent, filed for filed for permission to change the legal occupancy from seven apartments to seven apartments and the office of the Licensed Attendants Association (a recently formed group of medical attendants).
In February of 1951, the Building Department indicated that the legal occupancy of 327 Beacon had never been changed from a single-family dwelling, and Hyman Goodman filed for (and subsequently received) permission to legalize the occupancy as seven apartments.
On August 1, 1951, Harold Rutledge transferred 327 Beacon to Hyman Goodman’s wife, Jennie L. (Salzman) Goodman.
The property changed hands and on March 23, 1956, was purchased by real estate dealer Earl Carnes Munson. In August of 1956, he acquired 325 Beacon. He lived at 325 Beacon, where he operated a lodging house, and also managed the apartments at 327 Beacon.
On September 17, 1963, 325 Beacon and 327 Beacon were purchased from Earl Munn by real estate dealer Robert Banker of Cambridge. On August 20, 1964, he transferred both properties to his wife, Judith (Galner) Banker, and on July 27, 1972, she transferred both properties back to him.
On May 22, 1979, Robert Banker transferred 327 Beacon to the Robert Banker Management Company. That same month, he filed for (and subsequently received) permission to reduce the number of units from six to five.
On December 7, 1979, he converted the property into five condominium units, the 327 Beacon Street Condominium.