365 Beacon was built in 1872-1873 by Weston & Shepard, masons, one of three contiguous houses (361-363-365 Beacon) designed as a symmetrical unit with 363 Beacon in the center, one story higher and with a bay centered on the façade, flanked by 361 and 365 Beacon.
The houses were built for investment banker Henry Chapman Wainwright for speculative sale. He is shown as the owner on the original building permit application for the three houses, dated April 5, 1872. The permit application indicates the architect as “F. H. Jackson.” There is no architect named Jackson with a first name beginning with “F” listed in the City Directories for the 1870-1874 period, and it appears likely that F. H. Jackson was Francis Henry Jackson, a real estate and mortgage broker who described his occupation as “architect” in the 1860 US Census.
Henry Wainwright purchased the land for 361-363-365 Beacon on April 19, 1871, from a real estate investment trust formed by John Templeman Coolidge, Franklin Evans, and Charles Henry Parker. The land was part of one of several parcels originally purchased by the trust on January 29, 1866, from the Boston Water Power Company. The trust subsequently subdivided the property into lots, which it sold to investors and builders, who then frequently resold the lots to others.
Click here for an index to the deeds for 365 Beacon.
365 Beacon was not listed in the 1876-1879 Blue Books.
By the 1879-1880 winter season, it was the home of boot and shoe dealer Emile Marquéze and his wife, Caroline Augusta (Haseltine) Marquéze. In 1878, they had lived at the Hotel Hamilton at 260 Clarendon.
On December 2, 1882, 365 Beacon was purchased from Henry Wainwright by Waldo Higginson, president of the Arkwright Mutual Fire Insurance Company, He and his wife, Mary Davies (Sohier) Higginson, lived at 13 Joy.
Emile and Caroline Marquéze continued to live at 365 Beacon during the 1882-1883 season, but moved thereafter to the Hotel Vendôme.
By the 1883-1884 winter season, 365 Beacon was the home of leather dealer William Francis Johnson and his wife, Juliette (Carrington) Johnson. They previously had lived at 678 Tremont. They continued to live at 365 Beacon in 1889. In August of 1889, his firm (William F. Johnson & Co.) went bankrupt and they moved soon thereafter to Roxbury.
365 Beacon was not listed in the 1890 Blue Book.
On October 28, 1889, 365 Beacon was purchased from Waldo Higginson by attorney Oliver Crocker Stevens. He and his wife, Julia Burnett (Smith) Stevens, made it their home. They previously had lived at the Hotel Palmerston at 177 West Chester Park. They also maintained a home in St. Albans, Vermont, where Julia Stevens had been born.
Oliver Stevens died in March of 1911. Oliver and Julia Stevens had no children, and he left 365 Beacon in trust for her use during her lifetime, and then to his brother, William Stanford Stevens.
Julia Stevens continued to live at 365 Beacon until her death in September of 1929. Oliver Stevens’s brother, William Stanford Stevens, had predeceased her, and 365 Beacon was inherited by his two sons, Stanford H. Stevens and Philip G. Stevens.
The house was not listed in the 1930 Boston Blue Book nor was it enumerated in the 1930 US Census.
On December 28, 1929, 365 Beacon was purchased from Stanford H. Stevens and Philip G. Stevens by real estate dealer Ray C. Johnson, and on January 30, 1930, it was acquired from him by Antoinette (Becker) Kranefuss, the wife of Albert M. Kranefuss, a tailor. Antoinette Kranefuss’s mother, Anna (Schwendemann) Becker, the widow of Ignatius Becker, lived with them. In 1930, they had lived at 59 Bay State Road.
They continued to live at 365 Beacon in 1933.
On October 10, 1933, the New England Trust Company foreclosed on the mortgage it held on 365 Beacon and took possession of the property.
The house was not listed in the 1934-1937 Blue Books, nor in the 1934-1936 Lists of Residents, and is shown as vacant in the 1935 and 1936 City Directories.
On March 30, 1936, 365 Beacon was acquired from the New England Trust Company by Lorena (Rena) (Armstrong) Sanborn, the widow of Oren Cheney Sanborn, son of James Solomon Sanborn, co-founder of the Chase & Sanborn coffee company. Their daughter, Helen Elizabeth (Sanborn) Ralls, former wife of New York attorney Blount Ralls, lived with her. They previously had lived at 118 Hemenway.
365 Beacon had been converted into several apartments, and Mrs. Sanborn and Mrs. Ralls lived in one of them.
Helen Ralls married again in January of 1940 to Edward M. Hamlin, an investment broker and public trustee of the East Massachusetts Street Railway. After their marriage, they lived in West Newton.
When she purchased the house, Rena Sanborn entered into a mortgage with her daughter, and on July 1, 1940, Helen Ralls Hamlin foreclosed and took possession of the property.
Rena Sanborn continued to live at 365 Beacon until her death in January of 1947.
One of the other residents of 365 Beacon from about 1947 was Jay Jacob Sindler, a chemical engineer and founder and president of Spir-It, Inc., a Malden-based manufacturer of plastic and wooden novelties.
On June 30. 1948, he acquired 365 Beacon from Helen Hamlin. He continued to live there in one of the apartments until his death in December of 1968.
On May 19, 1969, 365 Beacon was purchased from Jay Sindler’s estate by Betty Aileen (Heath) Campbell, the former wife of Vincent J. Campbell. She also owned 369 Beacon, where she lived.
Betty Campbell died in June of 1992.
In December of 1993, her daughter, Susan Aileen Campbell, executrix of her mother’s estate, applied for permission to legalize the occupancy of 365 Beacon as seven apartments and four lodging units. Her application was denied because of the small size of the units and her appeal of the denial was dismissed by the Board of Appeal.
On February 25, 2001, Susan Campbell transferred the property from her mother’s estate to herself as trustee of the 369 Beacon Street Trust.
Susan Campbell died in May of 2002. At the time of her death, she was the wife of Arthur Michael Borden, who succeeded her as trustee of the 369 Beacon Street Trust.
In March of 2004, Arthur Borden filed for permission to legalize the occupancy of 365 Beacon as seven apartments and four lodging units. The application was once again denied because of the small size of the units. He appealed the denial and in June of 2004, the appeal was granted, with the proviso that the legal occupancy would be seven apartments and two lodging units (rather than four).
On August 8, 2013, Arthur Borden transferred the property the 369 Beacon Street LLC, of which he was manager of record.
The property subsequently changed hands.
365 Beacon was assessed as a four- to six-family dwelling in 2017.