499 Beacon was designed by architect Samuel D. Kelley and built in 1888-1889 by Keening & Strout Brothers, builders, as a four-unit apartment building, built for Edwin B. Horn, Jr., a jeweler and real estate developer, who lived at 11 Greenwich Park. He is shown as the owner of 499 Beacon on the original building permit application, dated November 19, 1888, and on the final building inspection reported, dated April 12, 1889.
By 1898, 499 Beacon was owned by Samuel F. Wilkins, who is shown as the owner on the 1898 Bromley map. He was president of the Howard National Bank.
By 1908, 499 Beacon was owned by Godfrey Morse (born Maas), a lawyer. He also owned 495-497 Beacon, and is shown as the owner of both properties on the 1908 Bromley map.
Godfrey Morse was unmarried and lived with his brother and sister-in-law, Leopold and Georgiana Louisa (Ray) Morse, at 203 Commonwealth. He married in January of 1907 to Mrs. Janet (Jennie) (Rosenfeld) Conrad, the former wife of Sidney Smith Conrad; after their marriage, they lived at the Hotel Lenox at 61 Exeter. He died in June of 1911. Godfrey Morse’s Heirs are shown as the owners of both 495-497 and 499 Beacon on the 1912 Bromley map.
After Godfrey Morse’s death, Jennie Morse married again to Jacob Joseph Lowe (Lowenburg), a radiologist. He operated the Boston Dental X-Ray Laboratory, and developed and patented a device to use X-Ray technology for fitting shoes to feet. They lived at the Hotel Lenox. Janet M. Lowe is shown as the owner of 495-497 and 499 Beacon on the 1917 Bromley map.
In spring of 1925, real estate dealer William N. Ambler purchased 495-497 and 499 Beacon from Janet M. Lowe. The transaction was reported in the Boston Globe on May 27, 1925.
By 1927, 499 Beacon was owned by Dr. John Stanley Harlow, Jr. It continued to be a four-unit apartment building. He is shown as the owner on the 1928 Bromley map.
John Harlow was a physician. He was unmarried and lived in one of the apartments at 499 Beacon and also maintained his medical office there. He previously had been a physician at the US Veterans Hospital in West Roxbury and had lived in Cambridge.
By 1936, 499 Beacon was owned by John Carroll Marble, the husband of John Harlow’s sister, Rosella. J. C. Marble is shown as the owner on the 1938 Bromley map.
In March of 1936, John Marble filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert 499 Beacon from four apartments and doctor’s office to six apartments and a doctors office.
In January of 1948, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to increase the number of apartments to seven plus a doctor’s office.
John S. Harlow continued to live at 499 Beacon until his death in January of 1950.
By the mid-1970s (and possibly before), 499 Beacon was owned by Mehran Juskalian of Medford. In October of 1974, he transferred the property to his son, Edward M. Juskalian.
499 Beacon remained an apartment building in 2014.