532 Beacon was built by Morrison Brothers, builders, in 1900 for Francis William Kittredge and his wife, Mary Hascal (Wheaton) Kittredge. They previously had lived at 536 Beacon. Mary Kittredge entered into the party wall agreements for 532 Beacon July 12, 1899, and is shown as the owner on the original building permit application dated April 23. 1900. She also is shown as the owner on the 1908 and 1912 Bromley maps.
In his Houses of Boston’s Back Bay, Bainbridge Bunting indicates that the architect for 532 Beacon was Geoffrey Hay. This appears to be a misreading of the original building permit application (there was no architect named Geoffrey Hay listed in the contemporary City Directories), which is difficult to read but appears to indicate that George A. Avery designed the building (he also was the architect for 530 Beacon, built in 1908).
Francis Kittredge was a lawyer. He served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1889-1891 and in the State Senate in 1893-1894.
Francis Kittredge died in November of 1913 and Mary Kittredge died in August of 1914. Their unmarried children, Cornelia Kittredge and Francis W. Kittredge, Jr., continued to live at 532 Beacon during the 1914-1915 winter season, but moved soon thereafter. Wheaton, Kittredge et al, trustees, are shown as the owners on the 1917 Bromley map.
532 Beacon was not listed in the 1916-1919 Blue Books.
By the 1919-1920 winter season, 532 Beacon was the fraternity house of the MIT Chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity.
It appears that the fraternity first leased the property, and then in May of 1924, acquired it from William J. Stober, a lawyer and real estate conveyancer.
John B. McPherson et al, trustees, are shown as the owners on the 1928 Bromley map, and Henry L. Johnson et al, trustees, are shown as the owners on the 1938 map.
532 Beacon remained the Sigma Chi fraternity house in 2014.