Henry Walker Hartwell was born on September 3, 1833, in Boston, the son of engraver Alonzo Hartwell and his wife, Sarah L. Walker (daughter of William Walker).
He married on June 9, 1857, in Waltham, to Sarah E. Miller (b. 1836-1837 in Pittsburgh; d. 10Feb1907 in Waltham), daughter of George Miller and his wife, Sarah A. Brookings.
Henry Harwell died on December 30, 1919, in Waltham.
Henry Hartwell trained in the offices of Hammet Billings in the early 1850s, and by 1856 was in practice for himself. His first partnership was with Albert E. Swasey, Jr., and lasted from the late 1860s until 1877. Hartwell then briefly joined with George T. Tilden, and then in 1881 went into partnership with William Cummings Richardson. Hartwell was the engineer and Richardson the designer. They remained partners until Hartwell’s death in 1919.
The firm of Hartwell and Richardson designed in the Romanesque, Queen Anne, and shingle styles. Among their works were the Belmont Town Hall in 1881; the Normal Art School (1883) at the southwest corner of Newbury and Exeter; the First Spiritual Temple (1884,
later the Exeter Street Theater); the addition of a fourth floor at 39-40 Beacon Street (later the Women’s City Club) in 1888; and the chancel and transepts at St. Mary’s Church, Dorchester, in 1893.
Back Bay Work
|1884||26 Exeter (181 Newbury) [Hartwell and Richardson]|
|1885||248 Marlborough [Hartwell and Richardson]|
|1891||273 Commonwealth [Hartwell and Richardson]|