James Cleveland Hopkins was born in December 25, 1873, in Jamaica Plain, the son of George J. Hopkins and his wife, Fanny M. Hunt.
He married on January 8, 1908, in Boston, to Mary Gould McMurtrie (b. 31Mar1872 in Boston; d. 29Sep1952 in Cambridge), daughter of Horace McMurtrie and his wife Louisa Goddard Gould (daughter of Benjamin Apthorp Gould).
James Hopkins died on November 11, 1938.
James Hopkins graduated from MIT in 1895.
In 1900, he joined with Walter Harrington Kilham in the firm of Kilham and Hopkins. In about 1916, William Roger Greeley joined the office, and in about 1923 it became Kilham, Hopkins, and Greeley. James Hopkins died in November of 1938, but the firm retained its name and, in 1945, became Kilham, Hopkins, Greeley, and Brodie when Walter S. Brodie became a partner.
Among Kilham and Hopkins works were the Salem High School (1909); First Congregational Church in Hyde Park (1910); the Unitarian Universalist Church in Marblehead (1911); Hopewell School in Taunton (1914); and Boston City Hall Annex (1914).
Among Kilham, Hopkins, and Greeley’s works were Waltham City Hall (1926); Cary Memorial Hall in Lexington (1927); Franklin School in Lexington (1929); Marshfield High School (1930); and the Community Sailing Boat House in Boston (1940-1941).
Back Bay Work